Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Ubuntu for a very basic machine?

Beans

WIll an old Dell intel P4 3.2ghz work with a new 27" screen?

My in-law's Mac has just given up the ghost and they are computer-less so I was hoping I could use an old unused Dell Dimension 5100 Intel P4 3.2ghz, install some variant of Ubuntu and buy them a big new monitor so it doesn't feel too ancient.

Can the Old Dell live up to a new 27" screen like the Benq GL2750HM LED LCD 27" HDMI Monitor I'm looking at?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Beans

Which Ubuntu for a very basic machine?

My in-law's Mac has just given up the ghost and they are computer-less so I was hoping I could use an old unused Dell Dimension 5100 Intel P4 3.2ghz, install some variant of Ubuntu and buy them a big new monitor so it doesn't feel too ancient.

I'd like to ask what variant of Ubuntu I should stick on the machine?

Either that, or whether people think some other flavour of Linux might be a better option.

It will be used 99% for just browsing, but will also be used for some accounting.

I'd like to use the opportunity to try out new options and set it up like a kiosk possibly, as it needs to be a simple to use as possible...

Thanks for any help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which Ubuntu for a very basic machine?

How much memory it is having ?
    3.2 ghz is way too much to run Ubuntu .Try out 12.04 .
    Lubuntu or Xubuntu are other light versions fork of Ubuntu .
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans

I'm a fan a Xubuntu for lower end machines. It feels less kludgy to me compared to the LXDE interface (used on Lubuntu). That's a matter of opinion though. Try both if you're curious.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please don't double-post.
    Threads merged.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

You can find the system requirements for Ubuntu here.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 (using Unity 2D) on a machine with a P4 3ghz, 3GB RAM and an NVidia graphics card and it is reasonably quick, certainly usable. (And faster than my W7 work laptop which has a much faster processor)

Unity 3D works but dash and HUD lag a little.

Xubuntu/XFCE is snappier and should do the job, but coming from a Mac they may get on better with Ubuntu - if the machine has enough RAM.

Best thing to do would be to grab the live CD and give it a try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squilookle View Post
    ...but coming from a Mac they may get on better with Ubuntu - if the machine has enough RAM.
    I would disagree with that. XFCE has many similar features including a dock like interface for launching applications (see left on screenshot). Not that Ubuntu would be difficult to learn with Unity, just saying XFCE is very similar.

http://cdn.xfce.org/about/screenshots/4.8-1.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    I would disagree with that. XFCE has many similar features including a dock like interface for launching applications (see left on screenshot). Not that Ubuntu would be difficult to learn with Unity, just saying XFCE is very similar.

http://cdn.xfce.org/about/screenshots/4.8-1.png
    Sorry, mate, I only see a vague resemblance to OSX in the theme in that screenshot and stand by my original statement, Global menus and window buttons on the left and all... (Possibly a matter of opinion and thankfully neither DE is a carbon copy of OSX, they just share some features/characteristics. )

Anyway, I again encourage the OP to grab some Live CDs and see what works on their hardware and what they think will be useful to the in-laws.
    Last edited by squilookle; April 26th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by squilookle View Post
    Anyway, I again encourage the OP to grab some Live CDs and see what works on their hardware and what they think will be useful to the in-laws.
    Sounds like good advice. Assuming the computer has a gig of RAM or more, then regular Ubuntu will be a fine choice.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

How much memory? What video adapter?

If it has a GB of memory, Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 seems like an easy choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast