Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Android smartphones not compatible with Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Android smartphones not compatible with Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by breezypt View Post
    I have an LG Motion with Ice cream Sandwich running on it. I tried a tutorial on connecting a nexus to unbuntu 12.04. the phone says it mounts , it shows up in Nautilus, but when you click on the name of the phone to try and accesss the files, it says : fuse: bad mount point '/media/LGMotion770/' ; Transport endpoint is not connected.

I have no idea what that means other than the fact it doesnt work.
    1. Please don't bump old threads; this one started in July last year.

2. This is a well-known issue, caused because Linux's MTP support is several shades of sucky. Although apparently it's possible to install a new version of libMTP or an alternative library, I was never able to get it to work. Your two best options are: Install an FTP server on the phone/tablet and access it through wifi; or install Ubuntu 13.04 which has a slightly less-sucky version of libMTP and can actually mount newer Android devices. I did the former as it was quicker and less invasive to the person using the computer.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I see that the Galaxy S2 works with Linux. Why doesn't my S2 work with Linux?

I have only ever tried to make the S2 work on linux, and from these results I thought android is not compatible with Linux. That seemed weird as Android is Linux based. So thanks for telling me that S2 works with linux. I will try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I can positively say that my Android SGS2 compatible with Ubuntu running Gnome desktop. Both Bluetooth and USB work flawlessly with the old Acer Travelmate 4720 running Lucid. With the new Acer Travelmate P243, I cannot browse files on the phone. The phone's Bluetooth setting sees the old as a computer but the new was seen as a media audio. However, even it sees the new as a media audio device it can send files over. I also notice that while all USB ports on the old work equally, only some ports on the new can work - 2 out of 3. The old PC at home is even worse as only 1 out of 6 ports can work with the phone. Finally, Blueman package is required for Bluetooth file transfering to work. Cheers.
    PS. the new Acer and the old PC at home are driven by 12.04.
    Last edited by wijit; June 11th, 2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: More info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123