Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Android smartphones not compatible with Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Android smartphones not compatible with Linux?

I have a Google Nexus S.

1. Firmware updates over the network (no connection to another box needed)
    2. Mail/contacts/calender all sync through Google in real time (I use Thunderbird on my laptop with Precise)
    3. Wifi Hotspot works perfectly (using this as I type)
    4. I can access specific files and folders on Ubuntu using Astro
    5. I can remote login using terminal software (available freely)
    6. I use Ubuntu One to sync all my important files automatically with all my devices (several PCs and the phone)
    7. I can even run a MythTV Frontend on it and link to a Muthbuntu MythTV backend over my LAN! (Try doing that with Windows Media Center)

Difficult to think what else I would need to do? Integration between my phone and Ubuntu system is far in advance of anything supported natively under Windows. The point is you no longer need a special piece of software to integrate a phone with a PC the way you used to, so the probem really doesn't exist.
    Pilot Paul

Acer Aspire S3-951

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Fincer View Post
    By saying it in that way, I think he means an Android phone fully supported on Linux, like on Windows: with all features like software updating possibilities and such matters.

The idea of full support to Linux computers is based on the fact that several phones are all running Linux as well (Android). So, if these computers and phones are like a same family by their OS's, why aren't the devices fully supporting each other in software level? Why there is no full Linux support for Android phones? Instead, they can be connected flawlessly to Windows PC's which makes the ironic situation: Android Linux supports Windows but not its' closest relative - another Linux, like Ubuntu.

I have Sony Xperia. The latest update needed to be installed in a virtual machine (VirtualBox) running Windows 7 Ultimate.
    I also have the Sony-Ericsson Xperia. Why can I not fake it with wine? I have neither the resources nor the patience to work with VirtualBox Windows. I'm willing to try wine, I guess. But as I recall, the upgrade application would crash wine whenever I tried to use it this way. That said, several other wine applications seem to be running smoothly now under 12.04. Anyone had any luck with this? Thanks.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans
    Distro

Just signed up for news and developments regarding Ubuntu for Android. We'll see how well that goes.
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
    I have a Google Nexus S.[*]Firmware updates over the network
    The point is you no longer need a special piece of software to integrate a phone with a PC the way you used to, so the probem really doesn't exist.
    Good for you that Samsung supports FOTA - I think firmware upgrade depends on the manufacturer's decision - I don't think I would ever be able to upgrade Nokia N95 over the air, it's not a choice consumers can make in that regard.

I'll be looking at Samsung closely whenever I need a mobile replacement.

One thing I like with Nokia is the online route planning (maps.nokia.com) independent from desktop PC. Is that possible with Nexus S?

Just signed up for news and developments regarding Ubuntu for Android. We'll see how well that goes.
    I'll be praying with you

Beans
    Distro

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note running 2.3.6. All recent minor updates came over the Air but the soon to be expected 4 will have to be done via Windows as far as I heard.

Samsung is contributing more and more to the Linux foundation but there are no .iso image updates for their SSDs available - which is why I got a Crucial M4 SSD. Would have probably taken the Samsung otherwise - I made them pay for not making it OS-independant

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cobuntu View Post
    which is why I got a Crucial M4 SSD. Would have probably taken the Samsung otherwise - I made them pay for not making it OS-independant
    I don't know what you mean by that - Crucial M4 SSD is not a phone

Next time I shop for a phone, I'll be looking for a FOTA phone, even if I have to scour the internet, to find that most important spec.

Wiki has info on FOTA phones, but does not list supported brands and models

Beans

hi guys

even my sony ericsson walkman live are not working under ubuntu 12.04
    as MTP Device but it works as mass storage.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I used to have a HTC Desire, and whilst I never tried updating it in anyway, I could mount it as a USB storage device under Ubuntu, no problems.

Now I've got a Droid Razr running Android 4.0. USB mass storage is no more, and I've the choice of MTP or PTP.

Nothing I can do will make MTP work. The phone isn't even seen as a device, let alone be able to do anything with it.

PTP is hit and miss. I'm using xubuntu and through Gigolo I can mount the device. Sometimes I can only see the DCIM folder. Other times I can see all folders, but get an error if I try to copy any files over. Some other times it actually works and file transfer is OK. It's a very, very frustrating experience.

Beans

The programs that are being mentioned to gain functionality in updating system software are Windows specific. There are Linux programs out there for almost every single android phone which will give you this functionality. First however you have to be willing to root your phone to gain access to be able to use them. Sure they aren't always nice little gui's, in fact most times they are not. But the different system images the manufacturers make for their phones are built and loaded on Linux systems, most commonly Ubuntu. The programs are not widely publicized due to the manufacturers themselves not wanting you to have access to them, but if you head over to XDA and search the forums there you will find what you need in most cases.

Beans
    Distro

I have an LG Motion with Ice cream Sandwich running on it. I tried a tutorial on connecting a nexus to unbuntu 12.04. the phone says it mounts , it shows up in Nautilus, but when you click on the name of the phone to try and accesss the files, it says : fuse: bad mount point '/media/LGMotion770/' ; Transport endpoint is not connected.

I have no idea what that means other than the fact it doesnt work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast