Thread: AMD Catalyst 12.4 installation error in Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 2

Beans

AMD Catalyst 12.4 installation error in Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 2

Hello all. I wanted to install AMD Catalyst Driver for my Lenovo G470 laptop in Ubuntu 12.04. Various websites and forums suggests manual installation (i.e. downloading driver from the official website and compile it). During installation, there is an error and this is the log:

KMS make.log for fglrx-8.961 for kernel 3.2.0-23-generic-pae (i686)
    Thu Apr 26 09:57:22 WIT 2012
    AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
    make.sh: 390: [: 1: unexpected operator
    make.sh: 396: [: 1: unexpected operator
    doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
    rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
    make -C /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic-pae/build SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.9$
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic-pae'
    CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.961/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.961/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_fpu_beg$
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.961/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:5812:28: error: ‘TS_USEDF$
    /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.961/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:5812:28: note: each undec$
    make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.961/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.961/build/2.6.x] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic-pae'
    make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
    build failed with return value 2
    I've seen this type of error before when attempting to install Catalyst 12.3 but many sources told me that this issue is fixed in Catalyst 12.4 (which apparently not). Any help will be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: AMD Catalyst 12.4 installation error in Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 2

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI
    that was able to do 12.3 for me try that way (though i am happy with the open source drivers on my apu)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI
    that was able to do 12.3 for me try that way (though i am happy with the open source drivers on my apu)
    actually that was the website I referred to when attempting to install AMD Catalyst drivers .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What is in the repos is from the 8.96 stream, which is to say that the Precise repos have had a Beta version of 12.4 since the middle of March. I don't remember when it was that I got fglrx in an update but it has been within the last week or so, which means it is probably the final release -- a pre-release as far as the rest of the Linux world is concerned.

The 8.97 stream (maybe 12.5) leaked out a bit a couple of days ago.

For quite some time, ATI has released new Linux drivers to coincide with releases of Ubuntu before they are available to other Linux distros. Phoronix complains about this every time.

Edit: Just checked. I still have 8.960, the pre-release Beta. 12.4. 8.961 is the release version.

I'm not going to rush out and install it by hand, since I'm sure an update will come soon via the repos.
    Last edited by QIII; April 26th, 2012 at 05:43 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    What is in the repos is from the 8.96 stream, which is to say that the Precise repos have had a Beta version of 12.4 since the middle of March. I don't remember when it was that I got fglrx in an update but it has been within the last week or so, which means it is probably the final release -- a pre-release as far as the rest of the Linux world is concerned.

The 8.97 stream (maybe 12.5) leaked out a bit a couple of days ago.

For quite some time, ATI has released new Linux drivers to coincide with releases of Ubuntu before they are available to other Linux distros. Phoronix complains about this every time.

Edit: Just checked. I still have 8.960, the pre-release Beta. 12.4. 8.961 is the release version.

I'm not going to rush out and install it by hand, since I'm sure an update will come soon via the repos.
    Can you please tell me which repo to add?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You needn't add a repo. It's in the standard set.

I don't know what state your machine is in with your failed installation, but it will need to be cleaned up. Go back to the binary drivers how-to, which has instructions for purging.

Then, add the driver and the Catalyst Control Center

Code:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx amdcccle
    Immediately set up the initial configuration:

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    Reboot.

If something goes wrong, we can help you sort it out from there.

The only time it is worth doing a manual install is if a new driver is released and you absolutely MUST have it right away.

If you want hardware acceleration, start a new thread and IM me to let me know it is there. I won't give instructions in IMs because the community will not see any potential solution.

Unlike NVIDIA with its proprietary VDPAU, AMD/ATI doesn't have hardware acceleration out of the box. ATI uses the open standard VA-API with the XvBA back end. Those have to be installed separately. Fortunately, the four required packages are also available in the repos.
    Last edited by QIII; April 26th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.