Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root Partition Size...

Beans

Root Partition Size...

When I installed Lucid I installed the operating files in a 10Gig partition with the idea that it would be easier to do a clean update. I thought the partition size would be large enough for the root. I have blindly installed all files that the update manager suggested. Now the update manager is telling me that I have less than 0.4 Gig of free space. I have remove every program that I haven't opened, games, etc., but this has had little impact on the free space in the root. Is 10 Gig large enough for the root partition or is there program which can clean programs or features that I haven't used the root?

Thanks for your anticipated assistance.

Beans

Re: Root Partition Size...

Quote Originally Posted by luangwa View Post
    When I installed Lucid I installed the operating files in a 10Gig partition with the idea that it would be easier to do a clean update. I thought the partition size would be large enough for the root. I have blindly installed all files that the update manager suggested. Now the update manager is telling me that I have less than 0.4 Gig of free space. I have remove every program that I haven't opened, games, etc., but this has had little impact on the free space in the root. Is 10 Gig large enough for the root partition or is there program which can clean programs or features that I haven't used the root?

Thanks for your anticipated assistance.
    Open a terminal and type the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    See if that frees up some space.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Open a terminal and type the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    See if that frees up some space.
    Thanks for your suggestion.I tried it and it removed python.

Here are the results:
    Size Used Available
    Before 9.2G 8.4G 314 M
    After 9.2G 8.2G 584 M

I never thought the root would swallow up the space. How could I use Gparted to resize the partition. Right now I have:

Partition File System Mount Point Size Used Unused Flags
    /dev/sda1 ext3 / 9.32G 8.28G 1.04G boot
    /dev/sda2 ext2 /home 45.63G 10.83G 34.80G
    /dev/sda3 extended 988.37M --- ----
    /dev/sda5 linux-swap 988.34m --- -----

Beans

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it and it removed python.

Here are the results:
    Size Used Available
    Before 9.2G 8.4G 314 M
    After 9.2G 8.2G 584 M

I never thought the root would swallow up the space. How could I use Gparted to resize the partition. Right now I have:

Partition File System Mount Point Size Used Unused Flags
    /dev/sda1 ext3 / 9.32G 8.28G 1.04G boot
    /dev/sda2 ext2 /home 45.63G 10.83G 34.80G
    /dev/sda3 extended 988.37M --- ----
    /dev/sda5 linux-swap 988.34m --- -----

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I normally suggest 10 to 25GB for root if you have separate /home. My root is 25GB but I have only used 7GB or so with my /home still in root, lots of programs installed, but most data in separate data partitions.

HOWTO: Recover Lost Disk Space - drs305
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670
    HOWTO: Cleaning up all those unnecessary junk files...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140920
    Caution deborphan will delete anything you manually installed. See comment:
    Better to use Synaptic to select the ones you no longer want. Also you get notified about dependencies to be removed and can reconsider, if need be.
    http://lifehacker.com/5817282/what-k...on-my-linux-pc

Did you run backups that were copied back into root? I lost a lot of space once when I forgot to mount my /backup partition and it just copied everything into root.

#check for large files:
    sudo du -h --max-depth=1 / | grep '[0-9]G\>' # folders larger than 1GB
    sudo find / -name '*' -size +1G # files larger than 1GB
    find . -maxdepth 1 -type d ! -name . -exec du -sh '{}' \; | sort -h
    dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' | sort -n
    gksudo nautilus /root/.local/share/Trash/files # Be sure to enable viewing of hidden files.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Have a look at the properties of /var/log from a right click of the folder in your filesystem. It is possible that some problem in the OS somewhere is propagating huge log files, which are growing exponentially, taking all that space.

I have a root partition of 10GB and after 2 years of 10.04 it is still only 4.5GB filled, with 5.5 still available. I find it hard to believe that you have installed so many packages that your root is full with those, and the figures you have given show that only 270MB was used by the apt cache.

You may also find the disk-usage-analyser is useful for showing which folder is taking all that space.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Thanks for your responses. I will try your suggestions and let you know what I find. It is getting late. Time for me to hit the sack.

Beans

Thanks for your help. I wasted a day trying to figure out why my root directory needs all that room. My synapses are fried. I decided to run gparted on a CD and shrink /home and expand my root directory. If that doesn't work then I will apply the Old Windows two step "Format and Reload".

Thanks again for your response and suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What I personally have is 20gb root (only using 8.3) and the rest for /home

and that actualy does me great

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Have a look at the properties of /var/log from a right click of the folder in your filesystem. It is possible that some problem in the OS somewhere is propagating huge log files, which are growing exponentially, taking all that space.

I have a root partition of 10GB and after 2 years of 10.04 it is still only 4.5GB filled, with 5.5 still available. I find it hard to believe that you have installed so many packages that your root is full with those, and the figures you have given show that only 270MB was used by the apt cache.

You may also find the disk-usage-analyser is useful for showing which folder is taking all that space.
    I this evening was working away on my webDev/LAMP box (Ubuntu 11.04) when up POPs the "low disk space.. ony 2Gb left" GASP!!, AMAZEMENT!!. My root is some 82GB I thought, CAN'T BE??!!

Taking the above advice, I looked in var/log only to see actual text logs total some 22GB.....HOLY MOLY!! LOL. I'm about to login as' Root' and delete the whole text offender.
    A screenshot is attached.

Post Script
    It appears that the file is a mail.log. However, I use my Ubuntu 11.04 box a pure LAMP webdev (ie a localhost Apache server for mySQL/Drupal dev etc). I do use it for normal email via Evolution. But at this moment in time, I'm not sure what influences the issue. A posting on Stackexchange has revealed it safe to delete the log (it serves no purpose to me at this moment in time).
    Opening the text file for a moment, the data reads a lot about SMTP, so I presume this maybe the culprit (possibly due to my LAMP/Apache server setup!).

Worth bearing in mind folks. More *nix knowledge gained me thinks and now further away from old M$ tehe,

PB, Lancs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paulbuk; August 4th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast