Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Moving distros

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Moving distros

Another way to go at it: learn about virtual environments. Learn about kvm. Set up a virtual (Ubuntu) server. Learn about bridging. Make a webserver on your virtual computer. Install a wiki, mysql, a blog like wordpress. O, and do all that while using your main Ubuntu system... While you're at it, do try out some other OS. All safely contained in virtual space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe go look at bug reports and see if you can submit kernel patches
    I'm nowhere near the level of programming needed to submit kernel patches
    TELL me how to fix my problem, I'll be back in a week, same problem.
    TEACH me how to fix it, I'll be good from then on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobman321123 View Post
    Hi all, I started off on Ubuntu linux with the hope that it would teach me more about my computer, and it has indeed.
    However, I've found that my increase in computer knowledge and Linux expertise has slowed dramatically.
    Is there another distro I could use with is less "dumbed down"?
    I've tried switching to Arch, but that was a bit too big of a jump for me.
    Is there a halfway step?
    Thanks!

p.s. Could you please include WHY said distro would be good?
    Thanks
    Fedora is a good one
    but a better next step for you would be debian, then fedora

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi all, I started off on Ubuntu linux with the hope that it would teach me more about my computer, and it has indeed.
    However, I've found that my increase in computer knowledge and Linux expertise has slowed dramatically.
    Is there another distro I could use with is less "dumbed down"?
    I've tried switching to Arch, but that was a bit too big of a jump for me.
    Is there a halfway step?
    It all depends on what you want to learn.

If you're interested in programming and scripting, any distribution should be fine as long as it supports the tools you want to use. Ubuntu, in fact, would be very good because of its stability and support.

If you're interested in learning more about Linux and Unix, then, with one big exception, I think any distribution would work. That exception is the packaging and dependency resolution schemes Linux distributions typically use. E.g., RPM's, deb,s, apt, yum, and all that. Those are Linux inventions. If you want to get deep into one distribution, you have to get smart about its packaging and dependency scheme. But, I generally find it aggravating that so many different distributions use different schemes. It's a serious roadblock to entry.

Slackware has been mentioned. I've used it a great deal. If you want to use Linux to learn about Unix, I think Slackware is very good because it throws much less distribution-specific crud in your way. While it has a packaging scheme that uses thinly disguised compressed tar files, it has no dependency resolution tools. Code is usually compiled as it arrives from its developers. I found it much easier to transfer what I read online or in books to Slackware than to other distributions.

Of course, FreeBSD and the other BSD's are also reasonably crud-free non-handholding versions of Unix. You should look at them, too.

I've also used CrunchBang a bit. It's a spin of Debian Stable. A very slight spin. If you want to get smart about Debian -- Ubuntu's base -- it might be a good way to start. The distro works, the community is sharp and friendly, and the site holds lots of really good info. It's a much more accessible place than the sprawling Debian site.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; May 2nd, 2012 at 11:25 PM.

Beans

Not necessarily too hard as much as the rather grouchy community of users who seem to despise helping people. I was able to get most of it, but I had a few issues with the newest kernel's incompatibility and awful people which put me off arch until I'm capable of doing things without their help.

Is there a midpoint?
    What a load of rubbish the Arch community is great they write the Wiki, they give proper advice, not the blind leading the blind,
    That is why they spend there own time preparing and amending the Wiki for people like you and me so they are very helpful just some people don't appreciate what others are doing to help them. The devs are always on hand, All they ask is you use your eyes and brain 1st. you are polite not arrogant. specific, and not rude. the fundamentals in life if that is to hard why should they waste time trying to help somebody that thinks its there right to be helped then tell you to #### off.

Saying that a Ubuntu minimal install is a great place to start. Then progress to Arch/Slackware, or even BSD.
    And yes I use Arch and Ubuntu.
    Last edited by kelvin spratt; May 3rd, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
    The Dyslexic Moron. user 448495 running Arch Linux 64bt
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin spratt View Post
    What a load of rubbish the Arch community is great they write the Wiki, they give proper advice, not the blind leading the blind,
    That is why they spend there own time preparing and amending the Wiki for people like you and me so they are very helpful just some people don't appreciate what others are doing to help them. The devs are always on hand, All they ask is you use your eyes and brain 1st. you are polite not arrogant. specific, and not rude. the fundamentals in life if that is to hard why should they waste time trying to help somebody that thinks its there right to be helped then tell you to #### off.
    You may have had good experiences, but I had bad.

All I got was repeated instructions to read the wiki for an issue that the wiki clearly didn't cover.
    TELL me how to fix my problem, I'll be back in a week, same problem.
    TEACH me how to fix it, I'll be good from then on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234