Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Login

Beans

Re: Automatic Login

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Go to system settings (under the "gear" icon in the panel), and select User Accounts from the System section (you may have to scroll down - it's at the bottom).

There you will find what you're looking for. You'll have to "unlock" it first with your password.
    I have tried unlocking previously, the option still does not show.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    That's odd, are you fully updated?

If so I suppose we need to see which "greeter" you're using, but I'm not quite sure how
    I just installed today and opened up the update manager and updated everything. I'm wondering if I need to allow beta updates or simillar, I will look into this now.

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Can we p[lease have some clarification?

When I go to System Settings>User Accounts a dialogue opens and in the panel on the left there is a list of users on the system.

If I select a user then I get information about that user in the right panel.

As part of that information I get a slider that will change automatic log in for that user on or off.

To activate the slider I have to unlock the panel by clicking in the unlock button in the top right of the dialogue and then I have to enter my password as the administrator. When I am finished I lock the utility by clicking the button again.

Are you saying that none of this is available to you? This has been available to me on 12.04 for months.

Can you post a screen shot of this dialogue box?

Regards.
    Attached is a screenshot of the unlocked panel. Not sure if Im just doing something stupid? I most likely am.

Thinking about this further I wonder if you might have more than one display manager installed so try running:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    If more than one dm is installed be sure to select lightdm and then see what happens.
    I just tried that command, it gave no output, not sure if it had the desired affect.
    My Ubuntu install should have mainly stock settings, I only installed today and have only installed a few software pieces and have not changed anything that should have affected display managers (as far as I am aware.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lokie538; April 25th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lokie538 View Post
    I have tried unlocking previously, the option still does not show.

I just installed today and opened up the update manager and updated everything. I'm wondering if I need to allow beta updates or simillar, I will look into this now.

Attached is a screenshot of the unlocked panel. Not sure if Im just doing something stupid? I most likely am.
    Please post the output of:

Code:
    cat /var/log/installer/media-info

Beans

Please post the output of:

Code:
    cat /var/log/installer/media-info
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64 (20120328)tigger@tigger-dedicated:~$
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is a difference in look between your User Accounts and my User Accounts.

I just have simple + and - buttoms on the bottom but you have the words "Add user account" and "Remove user account." I also notice in your case the close and minimize buttons are on the right and not on the left.

Could this be the reason why this panel is not rendering correctly?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

It looks like an older version of the user account settings panel. Are you sure you're up to date?

I think if I were you I'd simply back up my stuff and do a totally clean install with the final release version tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro

^^ Good idea sgage! +1

This is what the 10.04 User settings looks like FWTW.

Screenshot-Users Settings.png
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | 14.10 Mate | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans

Thanks.
    I wish you'd used code tags instead of quote tags because I'm not sure what produces that brand of smiley, but what I can see is; 2012032smiley.

So 2012 is the year!

And 03 is the month (March)

So I don't really need to know the day of the month, I'd guess that was Beta 2. Regardless I haven't seen this happen but I'm right now installing a fresh 20120423 just to be sure it's not a bug.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; April 25th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Beans

I wish you'd used code tags instead of quite tags because I'm not sure what produces that brand of smiley, but what I can see is; 2012032smiley.

So 2012 is the year!

And 03 is the month (March)

So I don't really need to know the day of the month, I'd guess that was Beta 2. Regardless I haven't seen this happen but I'm right now installing a fresh 20120423 just to be sure it's not a bug.
    Code:
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64 (20120328)tigger@tigger-dedicated:/var/log/installer$
    Sorry about that. Sorry if I've just made you check the bug over nothing.

Beans

Code:
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64 (20120328)tigger@tigger-dedicated:/var/log/installer$
    Sorry about that. Sorry if I've just made you check the bug over nothing.
    Don't be sorry. It's something that could have been overlooked.

What does the terminal show if you run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans

Don't be sorry. It's something that could have been overlooked.

What does the terminal show if you run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Just the usual hits. I have tried a variety of repo's, I thought the Australian one I was using might not have been the latest versions, but I just tried changing back to the main server.

Code:
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-proposed/restricted Translation-en
    Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com precise-proposed/universe Translation-en
    Fetched 71.1 kB in 10s (6,952 B/s)
    Reading package lists... Done
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast