Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Login

Hybrid View

Beans

Automatic Login

Hello,

Sorry about the repetitive question, I have been searching everywhere for an answer for a while now.

I am trying to get a user to automatically login, with a full updated 12.04 installation.

There is no automatic login slider in the user login section and I have tried adding lines into /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf as followed:

Code:
    autologin-user=myusername
    autologin-user-timeout=0
    Still no luck, I can't find any working solutions anywhere so I would love any more suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Automatic Login

Quote Originally Posted by Lokie538 View Post
    Hello,

Sorry about the repetitive question, I have been searching everywhere for an answer for a while now.

I am trying to get a user to automatically login, with a full updated 12.04 installation.

There is no automatic login slider in the user login section and I have tried adding lines into /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf as followed:

Code:
    autologin-user=myusername
    autologin-user-timeout=0
    Still no luck, I can't find any working solutions anywhere so I would love any more suggestions.
    It's not under System > Admin > Users and Groups?
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    It's not under System > Admin > Users and Groups?
    I just realised I may be in the wrong sub-forum sorry. I'm running an updated 12.04 is that precise Pangolin?

If so not it's not there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lokie538; April 25th, 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I just realised I may be in the wrong sub-forum sorry. I'm running an updated 12.04 is that precise Pangolin?

You are in the right place, I probably am not. I do not know anything about 12.04.
    I didn't figure that much had changed. I thought that was where you would control user logins.

I guess I should not try to answer any more questions about 12.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    You are in the right place, I probably am not. I do not know anything about 12.04.
    I didn't figure that much had changed. I thought that was where you would control user logins.

I guess I should not try to answer any more questions about 12.04.
    Thanks anyways mate
    It does seems strange because I believe that through my research it should be there in screen-shots I have seen.

Beans
    Distro

Go to system settings (under the "gear" icon in the panel), and select User Accounts from the System section (you may have to scroll down - it's at the bottom).

There you will find what you're looking for. You'll have to "unlock" it first with your password.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks anyways mate
    It does seems strange because I believe that through my research it should be there in screen-shots I have seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Go to system settings (under the "gear" icon in the panel), and select User Accounts from the System section (you may have to scroll down - it's at the bottom).

There you will find what you're looking for. You'll have to "unlock" it first with your password.
    You are welcome. I tried.
    That is where it is on 10.04. Nice to know it is still there somewhere. I guess I will learn more about it when I jump to 12.04.
    I like LTS versions but, I am going to wait a while longer before migrating.

Beans

That's odd, are you fully updated?

If so I suppose we need to see which "greeter" you're using, but I'm not quite sure how

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    That's odd, are you fully updated?

If so I suppose we need to see which "greeter" you're using, but I'm not quite sure how
    Thinking about this further I wonder if you might have more than one display manager installed so try running:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    If more than one dm is installed be sure to select lightdm and then see what happens.

Beans
    Distro

Can we p[lease have some clarification?

When I go to System Settings>User Accounts a dialogue opens and in the panel on the left there is a list of users on the system.

If I select a user then I get information about that user in the right panel.

As part of that information I get a slider that will change automatic log in for that user on or off.

To activate the slider I have to unlock the panel by clicking in the unlock button in the top right of the dialogue and then I have to enter my password as the administrator. When I am finished I lock the utility by clicking the button again.

Are you saying that none of this is available to you? This has been available to me on 12.04 for months.

Can you post a screen shot of this dialogue box?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast