Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 vs 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

32 vs 64 bit

I recently installed Precise on a Lenovo Ideapad using hte 32 bit version because I didnt realize I had a 64 bit processor. Everything has been running smoothly but I just realized I should have installed the 64 bit version. Would it be faster with 64 bit? Is there a way to change it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 32 vs 64 bit

The 64 bit will use your memory in a more efficient way but will depends on how much you have. Usually over 4g is ok as I understand.
    Perhaps another member would be more specific on the subject.

The only way is to do a clean install.

Regards.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Prepare for a move to recurring discussions.

Memory is a relatively minor consideration. 32 bit OSs can address approximately 4GiB (in theory. In practice it's slightly less). Even though a 64 bit OS can address more memory than you can bring home from the computer store in a dump truck, you can't get that much on your motherboard.

The big consideration is that a 64 bit OS takes advantage of the 64 bit machine architecture, which nets a sustantial improvement in performance.

The industry is 64 bit. When we went from 8 to 16 and from 16 to 32, those who clung to the old got left behind.

If you have 64 bit machine architecture, use a 64 bit OS.
    Last edited by QIII; April 25th, 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think that 64bit version will take advantage of your 64bit processor's capabilities . Faster system ? maybe.
    That think with RAM installed its valid only with windows. Linux has the 32bit - PAE kernel who is capable to read up to 64GB's of installed Ram.
    As I read after 12.04 version of Ubuntu , only PAE kernels will be released.
    I cannot illuminate you exactly with pros & cons . Wait for a more knowledgeable user

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Moved to recurring discussions. This poor old horse has been beat to death for years.

I run 64bit on my 1.5GB laptop just so I have the same verison as my Desktop with 4GB of RAM. I cannot say I notice any real difference but try not to open too many apps at one time on laptop.

Essentially says if you can use the 64bit kernel you should.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ty_pae64&num=1

Note these go back to 2008. I did not upgrade to 64bit until 2009.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit
    Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks Dec 2009
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit. (Plus install Guides) from 2008
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765428
    Last edited by oldfred; April 25th, 2012 at 05:34 AM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Is there a way to upgrade it to 64 without reinstalling completely?

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry to said that reinstall is the only option.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I run 64bit on my 1.5GB laptop just so I have the same verison as my Desktop with 4GB of RAM. I cannot say I notice any real difference but try not to open too many apps at one time on laptop.
    I've found that under about 2GB of ram 32bit runs a good bit faster. A lot of it has to do with how much you multitask of course.

What it comes down to is that 64bit is faster, and can index more memory, but also uses more ram to perform the same operations. If this loss of ram is pushing you into swap then any performance gains from 64bit are totally overshadowed by the performance hit from waiting for swap reads/writes.

If you generally just run one or two programs at once, or if you've got 3GB+ of ram, then this isn't likely to matter, and 64bit is the way to go!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Funny thing is, the Ubuntu download page still labels the 32 bit download as "recommended". If we all agree that the 64 bit version is preferable for a 64 bit system (And I have a 3-processor Athlon w/8G of memory), why not update the recommendation?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    Funny thing is, the Ubuntu download page still labels the 32 bit download as "recommended". If we all agree that the 64 bit version is preferable for a 64 bit system (And I have a 3-processor Athlon w/8G of memory), why not update the recommendation?
    I read somewhere that they were planning to switch to 64 bit as the "recommended" download this time around... guess that was wrong!

For what it's worth, I think the reasoning is that while 64 bit is usually better, for people who don't know what they're doing, the mistake of installing the 32bit version on a modern system is going to be a lot less painful and confusing than the mistake of trying to install the 64bit version on an old system.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast