Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Gnome-fallback

Beans

Getting Gnome-fallback

I wanted to experiment with gnome-fallback on Precise (my older nVidia card won't run Unity 3D,and 2D is too slow). The current Precise ISO crashes during the install, but I've managed to get the current Lubuntu 12.04 installed. So I thought I would try to install gnome-fallback over Lubuntu, but I see that it pulls in just about everything in Ubuntu, including all the Unity stuff. Is there any other better option for trying gnome-fallback that I could consider?

Beans

Re: Getting Gnome-fallback

It pulls a lot of stuff because you have to pull all of the Gnome stuff too. Since you installed Lubuntu, you have the LXDE environment instead of Gnome. If you want to use gnome-fallback, you have to have Gnome to begin with, otherwise there is no Gnome to fall back to.

Beans

The Gnome3 stuff I understand, but why things like Unity, Brasero, Evolution, Rhythmbox, UbuntuOne, etc?

Beans

It's probably trying to pull the ubuntu-desktop metapackage as well and that points to all that extra stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by haresear View Post
    The Gnome3 stuff I understand, but why things like Unity, Brasero, Evolution, Rhythmbox, UbuntuOne, etc?
    Gnome includes Nautilus, and Nautilus has links to Brasero, Evolution, Rhythmbox and Ubuntu One to provide integration. Most of those programs also require at least a few Unity packages to provide integration with Unity's launcher emblems.

So yeah, that's why it's trying to install those extra components.

You may be able to get by with running:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback --no-recommends
    which will install hard dependencies but NOT "recommended" packages. I'm not sure if Unity, Brasero et al are dependencies or merely recommended packages.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    You may be able to get by with running:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback --no-recommends
    Hello 3rdalbum and all

I might try that as well on top of an XFCE install.

I might try adding nautilus in as well as it is the file manager that integrates best with gnome-panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is there an alternate installer for Precise? If so, I would try it. After installing it, you can get a text terminal and login there to install gnome-session-fallback, without ever having to run Unity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have had trouble in the past with installing a different DE on top of an existing one. I would suggest simply installing the regular Ubuntu when it comes out tomorrow and then installing the fallback.
    That is the least complicated. Then just remove the stuff you don't like later (unity, overlay scrollbars or whatever)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by megabuffen View Post
    Is there an alternate installer for Precise? If so, I would try it. After installing it, you can get a text terminal and login there to install gnome-session-fallback, without ever having to run Unity.
    Ermmm, yes ........ you can use an Alt CD, then press F4 and select CLI install, or you can use the netboot mini.iso and install only what you wish.

But I've had nothing but trouble trying to get a classic session working acceptably in Precise other than this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=389

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS View Post
    I have had trouble in the past with installing a different DE on top of an existing one. I would suggest simply installing the regular Ubuntu when it comes out tomorrow and then installing the fallback.
    That is the least complicated. Then just remove the stuff you don't like later (unity, overlay scrollbars or whatever)
    For some reason, the Ubuntu and Lubuntu 12.04 live ISOs (release versions) both crash at the end of the install when trying to display the slide show. I also tried the alternate ISO, but it failed too during the "load components" step. The Lubuntu install gets far enough that I can complete it manually -- that is the only success I've had.

3rdalbum's suggestion looks interesting -- I might give that a try.
    I may also try to upgrade my U11.10 install later after the post-release excitement dies down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast