Thread: Installing Rhythmbox

Beans

Installing Rhythmbox

I have been attempting to install Rhythmbox, which is a .tar.xz file, and, following the directions in the package {once extracted} attempted to run the command ./configure while in the file containing Rhythmbox's source code. However, I got the following error message
    Code:
    checking for gobject-introspection... configure: error: gobject-introspection-1.0 is not installed
    However, gobject-introspection is installed. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Beans

Re: Installing Rhythmbox

Hi,

I recently compiled rhythmbox from source and there were many errors like this one.

You need to make sure the package-dev is also installed where package is the one named in the error. The -dev packages are not installed by default when the binary package is installed.

Also, to make it just a little more fun the package named in the errors is not always exactely the same as the one needed in the system.

Ubuntu have a good web site where you can search package names so I suggest you look there for the correct package name with -dev extension on the end.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

It took me a couple of days to fix all errors, compile, make, and install rhythmbox, but that maybe because I'm new at this ...

Hope that helps.

Beans

This worked! Thanks!

Beans

So how come, apt-get can install it without those packages? It's weird for me: downloading about 100MB to install Rhythmbox, where is the profit?