Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Xubuntu install, no partition labels

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Xubuntu install, no partition labels

    So I'm trying to install xubuntu alongside windows 7 on a brand new laptop. The default partitions are unlabelled...? I want Xubuntu to be smaller, but I don't no which is which, webcam photo included for clarification.



    They're both just white boxes?
    Last edited by DW1988; August 20th, 2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Spelling there -> they're :(

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Xubuntu install, no partition labels

    DO NOT resize windows with the installer!!!

    Boot windows, open Disk Management and shrink the windows partition for as much as you want to allocate to ubuntu. Leave the newly created space as unallocated, DO NOT create ntfs partition from windows.
    Restart windows few times to acknowledge the shrink.

    After that start the xubuntu installer (boot with the cd) and it should install automatically into the unallocated space you left for it.
    If you want a more specific setup, use manual partitioning but it doesn't sound like it.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    4
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Xubuntu install, no partition labels

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    DO NOT resize windows with the installer!!!

    Boot windows, open Disk Management and shrink the windows partition for as much as you want to allocate to ubuntu. Leave the newly created space as unallocated, DO NOT create ntfs partition from windows.
    Restart windows few times to acknowledge the shrink.

    After that start the xubuntu installer (boot with the cd) and it should install automatically into the unallocated space you left for it.
    If you want a more specific setup, use manual partitioning but it doesn't sound like it.
    Have never used ubuntu before (OpenSuse), so I assumed the new partition would be ext3/4. Hmmmm.... May stick with suse for my new laptop too as this has reduced my confidence.

    Additionally I have found :

    http://askubuntu.com/questions/11016...nstalling-a-se

    which indicates the partition on left is the original.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Xubuntu install, no partition labels

    Yeah, on the left should be the original.

    The ubuntu partition will be ext4 and a swap partition. The installer will create them form the unallocated space.

    The main reason not to resize windows using the ubuntu installer is because windows doesn't like that and sometimes (not always) can become unbootable wanting a chkdsk to be run first. But since you can't boot it to run chkdsk, you are in sort of catch 22.
    That's why it's always better to shrink suing windows Disk Management, and install ubuntu into the unallocated space created.

    I only said not to shrink it with the ubuntu installer, not sure what put you off from installing. I never said it's a bad idea to install.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    3
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Xubuntu install, no partition labels

    I have a question now. I have an MSI GT60 laptop running a 750GB HDD and using a 128GB SSD as a caching drive in Windows 7 using the IRST.

    The most drive space IRST can use for caching is 64GB so it left me with a 50GB unallocated partition.

    I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on the 50GB partition on the SSD caching drive, but when I am installing it is not showing any partitions and it will not allow me to continue with the Linux installation.

    Any thoughts as to why it is not letting me use the 50GB of free space on my caching SSD?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Segur De Calafell, Spain
    Beans
    11,660
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Xubuntu install, no partition labels

    Quote Originally Posted by hanketsu View Post
    I have a question now. I have an MSI GT60 laptop running a 750GB HDD and using a 128GB SSD as a caching drive in Windows 7 using the IRST.

    The most drive space IRST can use for caching is 64GB so it left me with a 50GB unallocated partition.

    I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on the 50GB partition on the SSD caching drive, but when I am installing it is not showing any partitions and it will not allow me to continue with the Linux installation.

    Any thoughts as to why it is not letting me use the 50GB of free space on my caching SSD?
    Unfortunately I think IRST works in such a way that it marks the ssd as raid member, so the ubuntu installer will ignore it even if only part of the disk is used by IRST.

    From what I have seen on this forum, you have to disable IRST and remove the raid meta data from the ssd in order to use it.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    3
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Xubuntu install, no partition labels

    Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Unfortunately I think IRST works in such a way that it marks the ssd as raid member, so the ubuntu installer will ignore it even if only part of the disk is used by IRST.

    From what I have seen on this forum, you have to disable IRST and remove the raid meta data from the ssd in order to use it.

    Okay, thanks. That is what I was afraid of.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •