Thread: VirtualBox fails on ubuntu 12.04

Beans

VirtualBox fails on ubuntu 12.04

I have installed Virtualbox on my machine.

I get the following cryptic error message when I try to run Virtualbox

Error opening file for reading: Permission denied

I have added my name to vboxusers. it did not help.

"sudo Virtualbox" run just fine. with no error. Can someone tell me which file needs permission. or where can I find the answer

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VirtualBox fails on ubuntu 12.04

Can't say that I have ever seen issues starting virtualbox. I have it installed and working on both 11.10 and 12.04 with no problems. You're getting the error when trying to launch the virtualbox application or one of your VM's? If you're getting the error when trying to launch virtualbox I would recommend just uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcarlowise View Post
    Can't say that I have ever seen issues starting virtualbox. I have it installed and working on both 11.10 and 12.04 with no problems. You're getting the error when trying to launch the virtualbox application or one of your VM's? If you're getting the error when trying to launch virtualbox I would recommend just uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling.
    Yes I get the error when I was trying to launch. I did not get the menu that will enable me to import my machine from the 11.10 machine. I used The ubuntu package. May be I need to use the one from oracle?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by odror View Post
    Yes I get the error when I was trying to launch. I did not get the menu that will enable me to import my machine from the 11.10 machine. I used The ubuntu package. May be I need to use the one from oracle?

Thanks
    I use VirtualBox that comes in the Ubuntu Software Center so I don't think you need to use the Oracle version. Have you tried uninstalling it, rebooting and reinstalling?

Beans

I have re-installed. I got the same error, basically only the root user can use the Virtualbox.

Beans

Out of the blue same error here. Can't do a thing with virtualbox anymore.
    Just this error

Beans

I can't replicate your error. It still strikes me as a user permissions problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Make sure you make yourself a member of the following groups:

vboxusers, lp and users.

Not knowing about "lp" really cramped my style when I was first using virtualbox. Also, the only reason to use the Oracle version (which I use) is for USB connectivity.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Make sure you make yourself a member of the following groups:

vboxusers, lp and users.

Not knowing about "lp" really cramped my style when I was first using virtualbox. Also, the only reason to use the Oracle version (which I use) is for USB connectivity.
    Aha... thanks for mentioning that. I'd everything else working okay, even the somewhat glitchy support for the Aero application rolodex display. The 'extensions' and guest drivers iso's were duly imported, but I could never see any USB devices attached. Is it something that got fixed just after Precise's application freeze?