Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solution for Ubuntu 12.04 and realtek N8101 NIC wired network not working

Beans

Solution for Ubuntu 12.04 and realtek N8101 NIC wired network not working

Hi All,

I'm new so appologies if this is the wrong forum. I wanted to share a solution for this issue as I've been searching for days to fix it.

So problem.

ubuntu 12.04 and its kernel 3.2.0-23 is not compatible with the RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller

When booting from the live CD wired connection fails, even after the MAC is set (its blank by default)

The issue is with the default module r8169.ko used by the kernel, it needs to be blacklisted.

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-network
    then add a line to the file
    r8169.ko
    and save

Solution
    The correct driver/module is on the realtek site called r8101, but the source code won't compile on the new kernel.

I found this link which has the source and patch which can be applied to it to allow it to compile on the new kernel and produce the r8101.ko file.
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/f...AKernelmodules

Once the r8101.ko file is made the script fails to install it so next copy it to;
    /lib/modules/3.2.0-23-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/

Then I installed it using these commands
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe r8101

The last step is to fix the missing MAC address and restart network manager using these commands, you can use any MAC you like, don't have to use 00:28:C7:0A:42:A2

sudo service network-manager stop
    sudo ifconfig eth0 down
    sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:28:C7:0A:42:A2
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    sudo service network-manager start

Then plug in the network cable and away we go

David

Beans

Re: Solution for Ubuntu 12.04 and realtek N8101 NIC wired network not working

Just tried rebooting and the new module loads at start up but I loose the MAC address so every reboot I need to run..

sudo ifconfig eth0 down
    sudo ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:28:C7:0A:42:A2
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up

Anyone know how to set the mac during boot to avoid this?

Beans

Post Re: Solution for Ubuntu 12.04 and realtek N8101 NIC wired network not working

stargazer30, you're my personal hero! Your solution fixed my wireless on Toshiba Satellite A660-18N which had spontaneously broken after a seemingly harmless update relating to network security packages on Ubuntu 12.04. Until this point it had been working without issue.

I've spent hours searching for a solution, if you hadn't posted I don't know where I'd be right now. Thank you so much, I'm seriously grateful that you shared this solution!

For you - I believe this post may help your MAC address issue, though I suspect you've solved it by now:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1724802

For others - here's a concise outline of the steps you need; the blacklist line stargazer mentions is slightly incorrect, and some of the manual steps he specifies are unnecessary if you run commands as sudo (or at least they were in my case).

Note that in my particular case this made my wireless connection reappear in the network dropdown in taskbar, but after rebooting below I had to press the keyboard shortcut to reenable wireless adapter, which had been disabled by the original issue. I had MAC address issue like that reported by OP.

Ubuntu 12.04: RTL8101E/RTL8102E Realtek Fix:

Download the attached file to ~/Downloads

Then;

Code:
    sudo gedit  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Add line:

Code:
    blacklist r8169
    Save and close, then run:

Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u && cd ~/Downloads && tar xvf r8101-1.022.00.tar.bz2 && cd r8101-1.022.00 && sudo sh autorun.sh
    After completion of this command, reboot and you're good to go!

Happy days
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by KomodoDave; August 27th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is poor practice. In a future release of Ubuntu,the file will be removed if it doesn't end in .conf. The second best solution is to rename it:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-network /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-network.conf
    The best solution is to simply add your blacklist to the proper file, /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf at the end.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    This is poor practice. In a future release of Ubuntu,the file will be removed if it doesn't end in .conf. The second best solution is to rename it:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-network /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-network.conf
    The best solution is to simply add your blacklist to the proper file, /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf at the end.
    Thanks for the info chili555, will modify my post and change my own file now.

Beans
    Distro

will modify my post and change my own file now.
    Looks perfect!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi,
    I followed the instructions and my (wireless) network card works now. However, when I restart my computer it takes a long time to boot because it waits (cannot find) network configuration. In order to get my card going I have to run every time I turn on my computer:
    How could I make my network card work automatically at startup?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by naskolux View Post
    Hi,
    I followed the instructions and my (wireless) network card works now. However, when I restart my computer it takes a long time to boot because it waits (cannot find) network configuration. In order to get my card going I have to run every time I turn on my computer:
    Please start your own new thread. This involves wired ethernet, not wireless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by naskolux View Post
    Hi,
    Try adding your command to end of file either .bash_profile or .bashrc and it will take up on system boot.These files should be in your home directory.

if bash_profile or .bashrc is not in home directory copy them from /etc/skel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: Solution for Ubuntu 12.04 and realtek N8101 NIC wired network not working

Hi-
    noob here.
    I'm trying a few of these but don't quite understand the instructions
    --------------
    chili555
    Quote:
    Code:

--------------------

-How do I determine "the proper file"?
    -Is this "sudo mv /etc..blacklist..." all I have to run,to fix it?
    also: in another part of this thread, it recommends a download. how do you download when the network is off?

Is there a 'best' option for this same issue (that I may've not found yet?)

Thanks-

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast