Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

Beans

Re: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

I read the middle "sticky" for this forum about ndiswrapper. Very comprehensive. I typed the command lshw -C Network and following is the result:

*-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 05
    serial: e0:69:95:c6:8a:20
    size: 10Mbit/s
    capacity: 100Mbit/s
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw latency=0 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
    resources: irq:40 ioport:e000(size=256) memory:d0004000-d0004fff memory:d0000000-d0003fff
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: wlan0
    serial: 20:4e:7f:f2:7f:e4
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+bcmn43xx32 driverversion=1.56+,08/26/2009, 5.10.79.30 ip=192.168.1.109 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
    WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

Hmmm..... driver=r8169

According to the sticky document, I am supposed to put this driver on a blacklist and instructions are given.

ndiswrapper won't work until you tell the system not to use the module that's trying to claim the card. You can prevent the system from loading modules by adding them to '/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist'
    So I followed the instructions regarding blacklisting. Now I am about to reboot as instructed.

I hope I can come back with [SUPER SOLVED] I will let you know.
    Public Library - 4 Public Access "GROOVIX" Computers! Our library has been an Ubuntu fan since 2007 AND our public access computers are still here!
    Have an open mind. Your brain will not fall out.

Beans

Well I still have to:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

after restart.

Once I do that everything runs just fine.

But when I typed in the above command, I saw the following message in my terminal window:

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.

Does anyone know what that means? I followed the instructions carefully.
    Public Library - 4 Public Access "GROOVIX" Computers! Our library has been an Ubuntu fan since 2007 AND our public access computers are still here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Marian! You're back!!
    Hmmm..... driver=r8169

According to the sticky document, I am supposed to put this driver on a blacklist and instructions are given.
    Nope; that's the ethernet driver, not wireless.
    Well I still have to:

after restart.

Let's get the system to do that for you:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules
    exit
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.

Does anyone know what that means? I followed the instructions carefully.
    You probably have a file blacklist AND a file blacklist.conf in your system. Let's see if we can consolidate. Please show me:
    Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    We'll fix it up.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Hi Chili555

I saw your note about the driver not effecting wireless. Since I don't have a wired machine, it made no difference. So I re-edited the file and simply deleted the line and saved it.

When I do cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

It returns an empty line.

I also:
    sudo su echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules exitI have not rebooted yet, but will as soon as I post this and let you know.

Thank you for helping me.

Beans
    Distro

When I do cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

It returns an empty line.
    Then we might as well delete it and get rid of the warning:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I rebooted and the wireless makes several attempts to connect and then just stops. I am using a spare laptop to make this post.

I also did the command to remove the blacklist file. When I entered it, it returned a blank line. So I don't know if it worked or not.
    Last edited by marianlibrarian; May 30th, 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans

I rebooted again. It keeps trying and trying and will on occasion ask to verify router password.

Is there any way to undo the command that was supposed to make ndiswrapper run automatically?

The connection finally came up on the first reboot but it takes 10 plus minutes to finally make a connection. And with this second reboot it still has not made the connection.

This machine is critical to my summer reading program. And I have another machine that I haven't even started on. (it is wired)

Please tell me how to reverse the automatic command. Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Is there any way to undo the command that was supposed to make ndiswrapper run automatically?
    Yes, certainly; however,I'm a bit skeptical that it's the culprit. Let's try:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modules
    The last line should be 'ndiswrapper.' Remove it, save and close gedit. Now reboot and load it the way you did before.
    Well I still have to:

after restart.

Does everything work now? There are other things we might try.

Beans

I removed the ndiswrapper reference from the modules file and rebooted.

It does not start ndiswrapper. However, it still does not connect to the network. I am using my laptop to post. It just continually asks for wireless network authentication. After the third or forth time it gives up. So I am back to square one.

If you can just get me to yesterday's problem I would be very happy.

I did a dmesg | grep ndis command (I am typing what I see)

ndiswrapper version 1.56 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    ndiswrapper: driver bcmn43xx32 (,08/26/2009, 5.10.79.30) loaded usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper

then this line repeated 12 times:

ndiswrapper (iw_set_auth:1602: invalid cmd 12

After typing this, I noticed that it is attempting to access the network again. It has been taking about 2 minutes for it to ask me for the network password / authentication. I click on connect and it just keeps cycling through this procedure.

(1) While waiting I did iwconfig command:

lo no wireless extensions.
    eth0 no wireless extensions.
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not Associated
    Bit Rate:300 Mb/s Tx-Power:32dBm
    RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
    Power Management:Off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rxinvalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

(2)
    ndiswrapper -l
    bcmn43xx32 : driver installed
    device (8046:9011) present
    Last edited by marianlibrarian; May 30th, 2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: To add additional information (1) iwconfig (2) ndiswrapper -l

Beans

I'm sorry. I thought there would be a solution by now. Unfortunately, like most public libraries we are terribly under staffed. Not only am I the network administrator, I am also the chief potty cleaner (some really bad stories there). I have just spent almost 4 hours trying to search here and google there and I can't shut the library down to devote to this.

I have access to Windows 7. I only use it because I am desperate and have run out of time. Thanks to all who have helped me here. And thank you Chili555 for trying to help with my current problem.

I'm sure I will be back with some other problem. Until then, take care and have a blessed day.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast