Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu ~ Would 64bit release solve my freezing issues?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu ~ Would 64bit release solve my freezing issues?

Other users who experienced random freezing found it was some sort of conflict with Banshee. Removing it fixed system-wide freezes, but I don't have further details to assist. Wondering if a quick uninstall of Banshee would be worth trying since it can be easily added back?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    Other users who experienced random freezing found it was some sort of conflict with Banshee. Removing it fixed system-wide freezes, but I don't have further details to assist. Wondering if a quick uninstall of Banshee would be worth trying since it can be easily added back?
    Banshee isn't in Precise though... It's back to Rhythmbox
    I only use Audacious anyway

I think i may try that asus graphics card - chop up the case so its heatsink sticks out the top. That should certainly eradicate any issues with graphics ...or add some new ones
    Last edited by Hylas de Niall; April 24th, 2012 at 06:04 PM.

Beans

Woah!

Right now i'm running the 64bit daily build (23rd April) from a usb stick as advised, and boy is it fast! I'd say it matched my 10.04.4 install for speed right now.

Can such a performance leap be just down to it running from flash memory as opposed to HDD ---or is it because it's the 64bit version?

I dug out an old 80gig hard drive that i was going to install it to for testing .....but now i'm really tempted to bang it onto a spare partition on the existing setup.

I think i should go for an install of this for two reasons:

1. The software that i typically used on the setups that locked me out other than Firefox, isn't preinstalled on the daily build (and there is no persistence on this usb booter) so i can't really get a comparable test this way.

2. This is just so blazingly fast compared to running Oneiric and previous dailies and the betas of Precise from usb sticks that i'm convinced there must have been some sort of issue with my system running the 32bit version. I really can't accept that such a huge performance increase can have happened in just the last couple of days.

Seriously. I'm astounded at the difference here. I know 64bit is really for folk with over 4gigs of RAM, but it seems that a 64bit OS on 64bit architecture will show a perfomance increase over PAE too:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1

I seem to be seeing this right now --or has the build really improved that much that fast?

I don't know whether to be apprehensive or ecstatic! LOL!

(plus, i decided against the GFX card in the end. It would have made too much of a mess of the case, and it is after all a dreaded ATI under that asus badge)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Install conky and an appropriate script, and you could see the temperatures all the time.

With 3 GB of memory, you shouldn't even need the PAE kernel. 32-bit should be fine, I would not expect an improvement with 64-bit. If you've got a spare flash drive, you could always try it.
    I've installed the 64bit version and it rockets along on my machine!
    Clearly something is working better, whether it's due to last-minute 'fixes' to Ubu as a whole or because it's the 64bit version i don't know, but right now i'm very happy with it indeed!

As far as Conky goes ...well, it's a whole new ball-game for me. I have installed the conky-std but have no idea at all what to do with it as far as running it from boot-up and configuring what is displayed on-screen with .rc scripts. I had a quick look through the two main conky threads on here, but those were more concerned with the scripts and i couldn't find anything about running it. I tried a quick gooogle as well, but i'm still at a loss. Could you point me to any 'noob-centric' sites that may enlighten me?

Many thanks,

Hy

Beans

Aw crap!

I spoke too soon, just had my first freeze up. I've had enough of this, my desktop pooter clearly isn't up to the task of running these later kernels - whatever the flavour of distro, so it's back to Debian Squeeze for me.

Gonna mark thread as 'solved' because the answer is clearly a resounding 'No'.

I'm gutted

But i'll keep it on the laptop as long as it plays nicely.

go into your BIOS and disable your on board audio.

Then either try your install and see or better reinstall and see if it freezes.

I had freezes and all kinds of problems with my pc as well. No matter which version I used it crashed from time to time. After disabling the Audio the problem disappeared over 6 weeks now. Not a single crash or freeze.
    Linux into the classroom NOW!
    http://www.taiwan-taipei.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidvandoren View Post
    go into your BIOS and disable your on board audio.

Then either try your install and see or better reinstall and see if it freezes.

I had freezes and all kinds of problems with my pc as well. No matter which version I used it crashed from time to time. After disabling the Audio the problem disappeared over 6 weeks now. Not a single crash or freeze.

No good - i need audio. It's a done deal now anyway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12