Thread: unknown filesystem grub rescue

Beans

unknown filesystem grub rescue

Hi. I have a problem with my grub loading. I had w7 and ubuntu 11.10 installed in my pc, one in each own partition.
    I had a swap partition of 2gb space. When I used to try to.hibernate ubuntu an error messagge came up about "no enought swap space". Then I delete the 2 gb swap partition and created a new one of 4.(I'm sure I only modified that partition). After that, when powering on my pc, after bios loaded, an error says "error: unkown filesystem. Grub rescue>".
    What can i do? I cant boot neither.windows or ubuntu. Thank you

Beans

Re: unknown filesystem grub rescue

Hi there, are you sure you deleted your swap partition? What you describe usually happens if some deletes his /boot partition... If that isn't your case, try to boot from a live cd...

Code:
    sudo su
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt        #make sure to replace sda1 with your part mounted as /
    mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
    chroot /mnt
    update-grub
    let me know if it worked...

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you have any free space on the disk when you decided to expand the swap partition?

Beans

Hi,

I deleted windows partition and resize Ubuntu partition with GParted from Ubuntu liveCD.

Now I have:
    "error: unknown filesystem.
    grub rescue>"

I tried the code above with a live-cd, plus one line:

sudo su
    mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt update-grub

Then rebooted and get exactly the same error. Any help?

Beans

At the Grub Rescue command prompt, type "ls" and press "Enter." This will display all partitions on your PC. Identify the "boot" partition and note the name: for example, "(hd0,1)."

Type "set prefix=(hdX,Y)/boot/grub," where "(hdX,Y)" is the name of the boot partition you identified in Step 1. Press "Enter."

Type "set root=(hdX,Y)," where "(hdX,Y)" is the name of the boot partition you identified in Step 1, and press "Enter."

Enter "insmod normal," followed by "normal." Grub Rescue will load the main GRUB menu.

Beans

Solved!

At grub rescue prompt:

set prefix=(hd0,msdos5)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal

(System booted)

At terminal:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/sda

Beans

Hi!
    I am using Ubuntu 12.04 as a dual boot along with windows7 with Ubuntu on a separate partition. I have tried increasing swap size using Gparted in live cd mode using the Ubuntu 10.04 disc. In the process I have come across resizing Ubuntu partition and deleting the swap file and creating a new one. After that I was left out with a problem of unknown file system Grub rescue problem at boot and I was unable to boot my system into either OS. Also I tried some thing looking into the forums and I can make it to a lime editing mode. But when I tried command boot there, I got a problem called kernel not loaded. Can any one please help me with this issue?