Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to update

Beans

Unable to update

Dear Friends,

I use Ubuntu 10.04. When I try to install a program from Ubuntu Software Center, I get a message “Requires installation of untrusted packages”. I am sure you have heard of that one before. Right? Checking 'Source Code' in Update Manager – doesn't help. My system cannot properly update because of the following error.

W: GPG error: http://archive.ubuntu.com lucid Release: The following signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>

What to do?
    Thank you.

Vladimir

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Unable to update

Hi Untrusted pkg's means you are trying to install third-party software and we can make this by selecting the canonical checkboxes in the Update Manager -> Settings -> other software Tab.

if you tried installing that particular from the terminal , then terminal prompts as same it prompts in GUI and here you can have the options as Yes/No . so you can install by giving Yes or Y .

while coming to GPG issue , please paste this in your terminal
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
    sudo apt-get update
    paste them one by one and give a Enter strike in your terminal and that will solve .

Hope that helps
    All the best .
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Dear Raja,

I have done what you suggested, but I haven' tot the desired result. Instead, I can't even go as far as getting the previous warning. The Ubuntu Software Center doesn't offer me possibility to download any software. 'Install' button is now replaced with 'Use This Source' button. But, when I click on it – I get this information:

Code:
    To show information about this item, the software catalog needs updating. 
     Canonical does not provide update for GNOME Color Chooser. Some updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community.
    ???

Vladimir
    Last edited by lisati; July 29th, 2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Normalise font; add code tags

Beans
    Hidden!

you sure that two checkbox's got checked in the settings of update manager ?

whats the output of
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

I'd like to send you screenshots of my update manager, but, I don't know how to do it here. You could send some message to my e-mail address , so I would have you e-mail address (to send you the images).
    Last edited by nothingspecial; April 10th, 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: removed email

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Pavic View Post
    I'd like to send you screenshots of my update manager, but, I don't know how to do it here. You could send some message to my e-mail address <snip>, so I would have you e-mail address (to send you the images).
    Click reply
    click "go advanced"
    Click the paperclip
    a new window will open, click "browse"
    point to wherever your screenshot is saved.
    Click "upload" and wait for it to show up under "current attachments"
    click on "close this window"
    now click on the paperclip again, you will get a drop-down menu showing your .jpg (or whatever kind of file it is). Click on it. The forum will include something like this in your post
    Code:
     [ ATTACH]215818[/ATTACH]
    but when you hit "submit reply" it places a nice thumbnail like this on your post.
    Update Manager_005.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd like to send you screenshots of my update manager, but, I don't know how to do it here. You could send some message to my e-mail address , so I would have you e-mail address (to send you the images).
    This forum has a private message system. Also you can attach images to your posts using the paper clip at the top of the posting box.

Posting your email address on the forum will lead to your inbox getting spammed.

Beans
    Hidden!

you can post that output code of terminal in pastebin and paste the link here .

Thank you .

Beans

Thank you all for help.

So, on the attached images you could see what my update manager settings looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Oh, yes. And this is what I get when I try to install a program. The 'Use this source' button leads to nowhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast