Thread: Reveal Password As You Type?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Reveal Password As You Type?

I wonder if there's anything you can do, briefly to reveal the letter you're typing when you're entering passwords, before it disappears. This option is already there for Android devices, and Android is I understand a Linux variant.

I find it invaluable on my phone and it would be a great benefit in ubuntu for people like me, who type their letters in with a special stick and am not always sure whether I've hit the correct letter. So I'm frequently having to retype my password.

After all, I use my laptop in a chair in the corner and the only person who sees is the budgie.

Regards, John
    a) Sony Vaio VGN-S3HP (12.04 Precise)
    b) Lenovo Thinkpad X201i (12.04 Precise) Dual-boot ī Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Reveal Password As You Type?

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Andavane View Post
    I wonder if there's anything you can do, briefly to reveal the letter you're typing when you're entering passwords, before it disappears. This option is already there for Android devices, and Android is I understand a Linux variant.

I find it invaluable on my phone and it would be a great benefit in ubuntu for people like me, who type their letters in with a special stick and am not always sure whether I've hit the correct letter. So I'm frequently having to retype my password.

After all, I use my laptop in a chair in the corner and the only person who sees is the budgie.

Regards, John
    You can use password feedback in your sudeors file. It will display a star (*) when you type a character. This may help.

Open a terminal and type...

Code:
    sudo visudo
    Enter your password. Change the line.

Code:
    Defaults        env_reset
    to

Code:
    Defaults        env_reset, pwfeedback
    Press ctrl + o to save and ctrl + x to exit.

I know of no way to achieve exactly what you are asking though.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Reveal Password As You Type?

If you're using IBus (in order to type foreign language) you can have the said effect when IBus is activated.