Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: complete total newb

Beans

complete total newb

i am a complete 100% newb to using anything other than windows and i wold like to rectify that but i have no idea even where to start lol. I have tried to use ubuntu b4 but was completely overwhelmed and intimidated by it so i went back to windows 7. i want tog et back into it and learn it this time but like i said i dont even know where to start i have looked over the books and other posts but they seem to be for some 1 who has a slight idea on what to do so any help/patience would be very much appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: complete total newb

Where do you want to start? The best thing to do is go about your normal usage, and when you find something you can't figure out how to do, you can search for answers. If you can't find any through Google, you can always ask here.

Beans

Well, if I understand this correctly, you used to use Ubuntu and now after some time has passed you'd like to give it another try?
    Assuming that is interpreted correctly I recommend Ubuntu 10.04 since I felt most comfortable with that (with Ubuntu). Otherwise I would recommend Debian Squeeze...
    For either one you should probably download the DVD version rather than the CD version...

Cheers.

--Edited to add this--

And if you install Linux and run into some issues, the Ubuntu Forums here would be the first place to look since the tutorials are typically very detailed, and you can search for just about any problem here -- most of which (I dare say) are solved, or have already been solved if you take the time to look.
    Last edited by rhss6-2011; April 19th, 2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Beans

the main issue i had was even connecting to the internet with ubuntu when i asked how to solve the problem i was told i had to write the kernel for it so i was completely lost. My adapter is the linksys ae1000 which is hard enough getting to work on windows 7 i am currently trying to get the drivers to work properly on it now just to dl ubuntu. i had but it wasnt for long bc i was to intimidated when i was told i had to write the program drivers for everything i installed but the guy that told me this was also new and it was all hearsay im assuming and it was like i think 2 years ago when i did this

Beans

Well, Ubuntu B4 is sort of... old... So with a newer version (such as Ubuntu 10.10) you shouldn't have that sort of issue - it's never happened to me and I've been around since Ubuntu 9.04.

And with intimidation... Typical install gives you a bar on the top and bottom of your screen - your menu should be on the top left and that'll give you catagories for your applications...
    You can customize all of that to whatever you want (unlike in Windows) so it's all a matter of figuring out what theme/style/application bar works best for you...

Beans

ok cool like i said complete newb last time i was computer literate was windows ME and even then i wasnt all that great at it....i was 12 lol but i just really want to get into coding and all that stuff which i heard ubuntu is a great OS that allows u to do what u want to do so i was gonna practice by making it EXACTLY how i wanted it i appreciate the help guys and especially the patience lol

Beans

No problem.

Now, if you want to "play with Linux" to help develop skills in coding then I would make a recommendation there as well...

First, keep the CD/DVD you use to install (whichever) Linux version you use... Another thing you might want to consider, is burning yourself RescaTux and GParted LiveCD onto (seperate) 700MB CDs... Just in case...
    After that, it might be wise to make 2 partitions with Linux installed so if you "play" with one and problems occur you can boot into the other and fix it...

Cheers and have fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Yes, that card is not the easiest thing to get working. As far as I know, you will have to do some compiling, but it shouldn't be too difficult. There are some nice tutorials to be found on the web. Even some videos. If you can follow instructions, you can set it up with a fair amount of ease.

EDIT: There might be an easier way to do this. The instructions I'm finding are from a year or two ago. I'm sure someone who has experience with that particular card can give you better information.
    Last edited by dniMretsaM; April 19th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Beans

ok awesome as long as i have a guide to help with the compling i should be fine and as in 2 u mean linux right bc i plan on keeping windows 7 for my games and work and all that good stuff and having my ubuntu for playing and testing stuff instead of a cd do you think putting it on a jump drive would work instead of a cd my burner is almost completely useless

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    Yes, that card is not the easiest thing to get working. As far as I know, you will have to do some compiling, but it shouldn't be too difficult. There are some nice tutorials to be found on the web. Even some videos. If you can follow instructions, you can set it up with a fair amount of ease.
    ... For the "total newb"... Any commands posted in a thread are for a terminal... Most ppl don't say that, so assuming you have zero knowledge in Linux Operating Systems or terminal consoles... Any command should be made in a terminal -- I think CTRL+F should open one...

--- And 3 partitions then...
    Last edited by rhss6-2011; April 19th, 2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: More info

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast