Thread: Update Manger won't let me update 2 Evolution updates? after upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Update Manger won't let me update 2 Evolution updates? after upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and ever since I get 2 Evolution updates that show up in Update Manager that I can't check mark to update, they just keep showing up. Also, when doing "sudo apt-get update" I don't see these show up?

I just opened synaptic package manager and searched for evolution, then it showed 2 packages that had grey ! marks beside them in the place of a green or white box. I right clicked them and they show the option to upgrade.

They are listed as:
    architecture independent files for Evolution
    standard plugins for Evolution

Which is just the description for 2 pacakges named evolution-common and evolution-plugins.

Usually, for an installed package it shows a "green box", rt clicking then shows the options to:
    Mark for Reinstallation
    Mark for Removal
    Mark for Complete Removal
    Properties

For a package that's not installed it shows a "white box" to the left and rt clicking gives the options:
    Mark for Installation
    Properties

But for theses 2 packages listed in Synaptic Package Manager as:
    Code:
    Package           Installed Version Latest Version   Description
    evolution-common  2.32.2-0ubuntu7   3.2.2-0ubuntu0.1 (architecture independent files for Evolution)
    evolution-plugins 2.32.2-0ubuntu7   3.2.2-0ubuntu0.1 (standard plugins for Evolution)
    the options are:
    Mark for Upgrade
    Mark for Removal
    Mark for Complete Removal
    Properties

and the installed version of 2.32.2 is not the latest version nor is it the same as the other 20-25 packages listed (all the packages shown after searching for evolution) that all have version 3.2.2, so I rt clicked both and upgraded, clicked apply, it upgraded and after which it also installed previously uninstalled package "Evolution", which probably got uninstalled during the upgrade process but all the left over pieces where still there or not all of the packages left over were upgrading properly.

Now when I run Update Manager it shows no packages.

Is there a terminal way to do this or a code for me to search for, or verbosely show, all packages that need upgraded?
    Last edited by ledzepjes; April 21st, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Update Manger won't let me update 2 Evolution updates? after upgrade to Ubuntu 11

Maybe a dist-upgrade would solve it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ap...nance_commands

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Update Manger won't let me update 2 Evolution updates? after upgrade to Ubuntu 11

what do you mean? I think that's what caused it, or rather the behavior of not having Evolution updated happened after I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 through to 11.10 just recently

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow, congratulations

But thats a release upgrade (s)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Have the same problem only there are now three updates greyed out:

evolution-common
    evolution-indicator
    evolution-plugins

I assume this has something to do with 11.10/12.04 not defaulting Evolution anymore? Thunderbird now seems to be the flavour of the day.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntu Warrior View Post
    Have the same problem only there are now three updates greyed out:

evolution-common
    evolution-indicator
    evolution-plugins

I assume this has something to do with 11.10/12.04 not defaulting Evolution anymore? Thunderbird now seems to be the flavour of the day.
    Its probably not any different from a regular apt-get install, but I think its worth a try.

Here's the download link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Em...ents#Evolution

Edit: also still think a dist-upgrade is worth a try

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade