Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seahorse..

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Seahorse..

and is there any sort of configuration? I mean the detached signature well this might be ok, but is it pgp signature or something completely different?

Encrypt file, well you have to encrypt it to public key not private key in fact.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post
    Yeah the only way you can clear the password cache is to logout. Then once you log back in and get prompted to enter your GPG password (say for an e-mail) you can then select how long to cache the passphrase. However, this shouldn't be necessary -- there should be a button to press to clear the password instantly and there should be a menu option available at all times that lets you select how long to store it.

But, again, Seahorse sucks. It has got no functionality. I am not even sure what it's for.
    I tried to enter some of the switches to the gpg-agent.conf as per man gpg-agent, but somehow it seems to have no effect at all. The stupid agent behaves all time the same.
    I was entering the switch lines to the one in my home / gnupg directory.
    Did you have any success in changing the behavior of the gpg-agent?

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    and is there any sort of configuration? I mean the detached signature well this might be ok, but is it pgp signature or something completely different?

Encrypt file, well you have to encrypt it to public key not private key in fact.
    No, I am in aware of any new configuration options. I am pretty sure that it's a PGP signature. I will try to verify it with the command line later. You're right, but it wouldn't let me encrypt a file to the public key that corresponds to one of my private keys.

Enigmail in Thunderbird worked relatively well before the update to 12.04 (although my pass-phrase would get stored for who knows how long). I have yet to test that.
    There's a man coming around and he's taking names.

Beans
    Hidden!

in the enigmail there is a separate entry in the GUI for time to store the passphrase.

But to me it looks like the gpg-agent running in the background is taking over and doing his preset 10 minutes.

Does enigmail still work normal so far?

The sig file, is it ascii armoured or is it binary?
    If just .sig it is supposed to be the binary pgp signature in raw state.
    Is it asking you any Q about if you want it to be text output or not?

Beans
    Hidden!

So now I had finally time to upgrade to 12.04

During the upgrade procedure, the installer wanted remove many things, but I stopped this and so I have all previous parts which do not directly cause any collisions with other software.

I found, that the functionality of the seahorse plugin for nautilus is still present and works fine. Right click menu for encryption is working ok.

The key management was never very good, and ist is not better now, bbut it works.

The only things which lost now, is the text encryption in the gedit, the extension for that is gone.

The functions of the gpg-agent can be partially controlled from the gconf configuration editor. Under seahorse, one can disable the passphrase cache or set the time out which is 600s by default.

Beans

Exactly how do I change the amount of time a passphrase is stored?

Seahorse has no option to do it.

I'm running 12.04...in GnomeClassic desktop and use Thunderbird 13 for email. No, Enigmail won't clear the passphrase as it says I'm using gnpg-agent...or something similar to that.

I'm pretty stupid about this sort of thing so if you could explain what file I should edit and what to add that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12