Thread: Iptables and blocking ips

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Iptables and blocking ips

Hi,

Am okay with iptables but wondered if there was a way to dynamically add and remove ip addresses from a ban list. Ideally I would like to just be able to edit a DB of some description or a text file.

Thanks,

Tim

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Iptables and blocking ips

The "recent" module nfo in 'man iptables' contains examples for addition and removal of IP addresses from /proc/net/ipt_recent/ lists. Doesn't get easier than that. Only caveat is it supports only IP addresses, not ranges.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do you ever think of ban it through host file and it make things much easy for you.

Check this out.

Beans

This is just the first google hit if you search "iptables block ip"...:

http://nixcraft.com/getting-started-...p-address.html

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I create my ruleset from a script where I can use for loops to iterate over a list of banned IPs like this:

Code:
    BANNED=$(cat /usr/local/etc/banned_ip_list)

for addr in $BANNED
    do
         /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -s $addr -j REJECT
    done
    The list is a plain text file with one IP address per line.

If this were part of a longer script, I'd probably use -A instead of -I. However -I works either way since it puts the blocking rules above all the other rules in the set.

Removing banned IPs is a bit trickier. Rather than attempt to delete the specific rule, I'd just remove the address from the list then rerun the script.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 22nd, 2012 at 05:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I create my ruleset from a script where I can use for loops to iterate over a list of banned IPs like this:

Code:
    BANNED=$(cat /usr/local/etc/banned_ip_list)

for addr in $BANNED
    do
    done
    The list is a plain text file with one IP address per line.

If this were part of a longer script, I'd probably use -A instead of -I. However -I works either way since it puts the blocking rules above all the other rules in the set.

Removing banned IPs is a bit trickier. Rather than attempt to delete the specific rule, I'd just remove the address from the list then rerun the script.
    Do you have an auto update script using the ban list using the link from blocklist?
    Try to use Moblock but seem not working anymore.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wacky_sung View Post
    Do you ever think of ban it through host file and it make things much easy for you.
    That IMHO depends on the reason for blocking. The "recent" module 0) makes removing IP addresses as easy as 'echo -1.2.3.4 > /proc/net/xt_recent/NAME', 1) it doesn't depend on an application having its own implementation of or having been compiled with libwrap support, 2) doesn't expose the application to packets and 3) its blacklist resides in memory only and does not require an application to read any FS file like /etc/hosts.{deny,allow}.
    Nothing easier, efficient and more secure than that.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Code:
    That'll work OK with a couple of addresses but rules are traversed linearly. If one loads a gazillion rules in the filter table INPUT chain it will be way slower compared to using the "recent" module or ipsets.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by unspawn View Post
    That IMHO depends on the reason for blocking. The "recent" module 0) makes removing IP addresses as easy as 'echo -1.2.3.4 > /proc/net/xt_recent/NAME', 1) it doesn't depend on an application having its own implementation of or having been compiled with libwrap support, 2) doesn't expose the application to packets and 3) its blacklist resides in memory only and does not require an application to read any FS file like /etc/hosts.{deny,allow}.
    Nothing easier, efficient and more secure than that.

That'll work OK with a couple of addresses but rules are traversed linearly. If one loads a gazillion rules in the filter table INPUT chain it will be way slower compared to using the "recent" module or ipsets.
    Currently i have not tried out IPSet because it work on Kernel 2.4.x and 2.6.x. Thus using the latest Ubuntu 12.04 with Kernel 3.2.x and i do not wish to test it if it is workable.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by unspawn View Post
    Modern computers can traverse thousands of iptables rules in milliseconds. My block lists contain a couple hundred entries and, even on older hardware, I saw no performance degradation by doing so.

How many addresses are we really talking about here? I don't block thousands upon thousands of addresses by default. Why would I? On my mail/web servers I block addresses from repeated annoying spammers and IPs that repeatedly attempt to identify local accounts via POP3 requests or to connect to SSH. I don't see much point in blocking thousands of addresses that will never attempt a connection.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 22nd, 2012 at 03:13 PM.