Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows XP vs Ubuntu 6: The Average User's take.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Windows XP vs Ubuntu 6: The Average User's take.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    2. People also tend to extrapolate a lot based on their own experiences. You had a great experience, so you're surprised when you see others not having one. Others have bad experiences and don't understand how people can say Ubuntu works or is great.

Experiences vary--this is true for both Windows and Ubuntu. The problem is that Windows usually comes preinstalled, people are used to putting up with Windows problems, Ubuntu is new, and one bad experience can taint someone's idea of Ubuntu forever--first impressions mean a great deal when it comes to operating systems.
    I completely agree with you on this the only thing I'd like to add is that Linux is the one getting the short end of the stick when it comes to peoples unwillingness to work out problems mostly because this is a new habbit that they have not had to deal with for the forementioned reasons of most computers coming preinstalled with windows. Second, a lot of lesser knowledgeable (trying to be polite here) people tend to confuse features of OS and software running on top of the OS which typically ends up with someone unfairly expecting Linux to have X feature that windows doesn't have either except for the extra software running on windows providing it.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such government [...]"
    —Declaration of Independence

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I was sorta agree with the OP. I read all the problems with things and actually put them off thinking I would have headaches. Since I started on my laptop. I was not looking forward to wireless. but I followed two guides and poof an hour later I was rid of the cable forever. I also know most of my problems is a lack of knowledge but it will come with time. But I still even with the challeges I do not think is really as bad as some make it out to be. But you forget only those that don't know or have problems come here, if were lucky the ones that know will also be here to help. Some I think live here!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I really like computers and figuring stuff out. I used to have all my computers with windows on them but now I am down to one desktop computer with a remaining windows Xp partition which I dual boot from. I keep it to work on my website. There are some good web development programs in Ubuntu and someday soon I may make a complete switch to Linux. I was dual booting on my laptop also but for some reason I could not get updates for Xp on it anymore so I deleted it and just run Ubuntu on it now.

I also don't like the way Microsoft breaks the older versions of windows in their updates to try to force you to upgrade to a newer product. I did have some difficulties with Ubuntu. Setting up wifi was a learning experience. After one version update my wireless was gone and had to figure it all out again. Someone mentioned something about keeping certain config files during an update instead of replacing them, which I will have to watch for next time.

One reason I did not use Linux sooner is because of the fear I would damage data on my computer when doing partitioning. I heard horror stories about that. But Ubuntu makes this very easy. Some of the things I like about Linux are (1)It's Free (2)I don't have to worry about piracy issues. I can give the software to whoever will take it. (3) It's got a cute little penguin mascot.

Beans

A previous poster mentioned that he had the a1430n and was having trouble with Ubuntu...I have this PC and I'm about to install Ubuntu on it (dual boot). I ran the live cd and no problems with anything other than I couldnt set the VGA to 1680x1050 which I'm hoping will not be a problem after I do a complete install.

After spending days trying to get another laptop and desktop with an ATI card I know it can be a pain in the *** to get everything working. But when you do it is just awesome. That old laptop is like new.With these two installs under my belt I learned alot and hopefully avoid some of the mistakes I made with the previous ones.Im avoiding all of these "package deals" and I install everything separately.

The biggest problem with me coming from windows and being new to Linux is that I'm familiar with ms file extensions and programs but linux is another ballgame. I have learned to read every detail before I download from synaptic.Still learning and having fun. Amazing stuff. I hope to get some good results on this PC.

HP allows for one set of recovery dvds. Would this help if my hard drive becomes unreadable? Is this a complete copy of my OS?

Follow up:

I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 32bit along side my windows XP. I let the Ubuntu live cd do all the partitioning and everything went without a hitch. I absolutely love Ubuntu. Everything just looks better and I love being able to flip between 2 desktops with my scroll mouse. I'm still playing around with the effects and I like having my close windows animations on random. So far I haven't had any problems but one tiny problem with my refresh rate on my viewsonic 22 lcd. it has on occasion diverted to 50Hz a couple of times causing things to look blurry, but after changing it back to 66 Hz it fixes it. My monitor manual says to use 60Hz but only 50Hz and 66Hz are available for me to choose. But everything just looks so much better than windows for some reason. Even my DVD ISO's played with vlc look hi-def. I want to install the 64bit Ubuntu but I want to get comfortable with it first. Anyone on the fence should give it a try its truly awesome.
    Last edited by Ramptu; February 15th, 2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Follow up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123