Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Best way to store my data

Quote Originally Posted by 337Manni View Post
    At the moment I have:
    1.8TB of Video's,
    52GB of Music,
    12GB of Pictures,
    3.5GB of Documents (Maybe more when I correctly organise them)
    5GB of USB Pen Drive Backups
    5.5GB of Backups from important folders from my PC to my family's which I maintain.
    For personal stuff, that is, my computer at home. I do not want to waste so much of my system's resources with complex, and lengthy backup schedules as they do at work. I see that all your stuff, except for the videos, would fit in an external 1TB hard disk. I would advise that you backup what you can you cannot replace or data you cannot deal with if you lost. I backup all my documents on a drop box account. I also have a free 50GB Box account

If you have the resources for a complex backup scheme, then i recommend that you add a second NIC on every computer that acts a a media server, get a good gigabit switch and connect those new NICs to the switch and then build a NAS that is quick, and connect the NAS to that switch. Separate your backup data from your internet/wifi data to reduce the ACK noise. I am only suggesting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A few more alternatives if you want ZFS,

Nexenta Stor CE
    A NAS based on Solaris which is free up to 18TB.
    Its supposed to be almost as fast as Open Solaris.
    All configs are made through web gui.

ZFSGuru
    A FreeBSD nas with web gui. Havnt tried it my self.

FreeBSD 9
    v.28 ZFS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    I've got a couple of those for backups and they have worked wonderfully.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I've got a couple of those for backups and they have worked wonderfully.

At work I have a buffalo 4TB station with Raid 10. Its attached to a nix box that just rsnapshots all of my servers everynight and dumps them onto it. I keep 2 weeks of backups on it.

I then have a 2nd offsite backup. Its a nix box with a 2tb usb drive attached that just holds the most recent day of the 2 week backup.

So far its worked great.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    At work I have a buffalo 4TB station with Raid 10. Its attached to a nix box that just rsnapshots all of my servers everynight and dumps them onto it. I keep 2 weeks of backups on it.

I then have a 2nd offsite backup. Its a nix box with a 2tb usb drive attached that just holds the most recent day of the 2 week backup.

So far its worked great.
    Nice set up.

I have everything at home sync to my server and then just back up the server's RAID 5 array to an external drive daily. I probably get around 9 months worth of daily backups before I need to start clearing them out.

Of course they are incremental backups using hardlinks, so each one doesn't take up much space if nothing has changed.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I think other people on the post tried explaining it well but here is another post which might help you on the same topic with much detail:

http://blogs.digitss.com/apache/mod_...-iis-together/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by dharmavir View Post
    I think other people on the post tried explaining it well but here is another post which might help you on the same topic with much detail:

http://blogs.digitss.com/apache/mod_...-iis-together/
    Maybe you linked to the wrong page? This article is about Apache vhosts. The OP was talking about a way to backup his data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks all for your reply’s!! I didn't expect so many so soon. Defiantly the best forum on the web in my eyes!

@rubylaser
    Glad you posted that, I was confused by the link ha!

@anonymouschief
    Where did you get a free 50GB account? I would be very interested in this for my Documents, USB Drives & Backups.

I want to build a NAS for a few reasons.
    1. I love tinkering with PC's
    2. The satisfaction of using my own home made one
    3. I can make it expandable, and upgrade components in future if needed, or my goals change.

A few months ago I won a cheap 3U 12bay Enclosure on an online auction site. It came with a Intel S845WD1-E Mother Board, a 3Ware 8506 SATA RAID Controller. I only really bid on this for the enclosure, and didn't know about the MB, CPU, RAM, Controller..... as these weren’t listed and so was a pleasant surprise. I would gladly upgrade the internal hardware if needed.

After reading I'm leaning towards using ZFS. I believe that:

RAIDz - similar to RAID 5
    RAIDz2 - similar to RAID 6
    Striped Mirrored Vdev’s - similar to RAID 10

Which one would you recommend for my situation?

If I started out with 4/6 HDD's, could I add another HDD later and increase the RAID, or would I have to add another 4/6 HDD's?
    Last edited by 337Manni; April 22nd, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by 337Manni View Post
    Thanks all for your reply’s!! I didn't expect so many so soon. Defiantly the best forum on the web in my eyes!

@rubylaser
    Glad you posted that, I was confused by the link ha!

@anonymouschief
    Where did you get a free 50GB account? I would be very interested in this for my Documents, USB Drives & Backups.

I want to build a NAS for a few reasons.
    1. I love tinkering with PC's
    2. The satisfaction of using my own home made one
    3. I can make it expandable, and upgrade components in future if needed, or my goals change.

A few months ago I won a cheap 3U 12bay Enclosure on an online auction site. It came with a Intel S845WD1-E Mother Board, a 3Ware 8506 SATA RAID Controller. I only really bid on this for the enclosure, and didn't know about the MB, CPU, RAM, Controller..... as these weren’t listed and so was a pleasant surprise. I would gladly upgrade the internal hardware if needed.

After reading I'm leaning towards using ZFS. I believe that:

RAIDz - similar to RAID 5
    RAIDz2 - similar to RAID 6
    Striped Mirrored Vdev’s - similar to RAID 10

Which one would you recommend for my situation?

If I started out with 4/5 HDD's, could I add another HDD later and increase the RAID, or would I have to add another 4/5 HDD's?
    Box.net ran a promo a little while ago for anyone that connected an IOS device to their service. You can read about it here. They are still offering it to people with Android devices though.

You are correct in your RAID comparisons, although ZFS is not susceptible to the write hole that exists in traditional RAID5/6 of copy on write. The whole write must complete or it's all rolled back.

If you go with ZFS, you can expand the pool by adding more vdevs. So, if you started with a 4 or 5 disk vdev, the best way to expand would be to add another matching vdev, but you can add anything you want to the pool to expand. This post mentions using mirrors for the added flexibility, but at home, I use raidz2 to maximize my storage space while still being able to survive losing two disks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast