Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best way to store my data

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Best way to store my data

I have more questions ha.

1. On the X9DR7-LN4F can the LSI 2308 SAS controller be put / flashed into IT mode?

2. If not is this a problem for OpenIndiana?

3. If I store my media on the RAIDz2 that OpenIndiana controls, and use Ubuntu with MythTV for a media backend to stream media from the RAIDz2 to other PC’s on my LAN, to which VM do I pass the NIC to, Ubuntu, OpenIndiana, both?

4. What size PSU would you recommend and any particular brand / model?

5. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that with RAIDz2 6 or 10 disks are preferred. Is this true and why? I would like to start with 4 disks and add 4 at a time due to cost, but will use sets of 6 disks if there is a valid reason.

6. Anyone got any tips / hints or guides for my project?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by 337Manni View Post
    I have more questions ha.

1. On the X9DR7-LN4F can the LSI 2308 SAS controller be put / flashed into IT mode?

2. If not is this a problem for OpenIndiana?

3. If I store my media on the RAIDz2 that OpenIndiana controls, and use Ubuntu with MythTV for a media backend to stream media from the RAIDz2 to other PC’s on my LAN, to which VM do I pass the NIC to, Ubuntu, OpenIndiana, both?

4. What size PSU would you recommend and any particular brand / model?

5. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that with RAIDz2 6 or 10 disks are preferred. Is this true and why? I would like to start with 4 disks and add 4 at a time due to cost, but will use sets of 6 disks if there is a valid reason.

6. Anyone got any tips / hints or guides for my project?
    Yes, the LSI 2308 can be flashed to IT mode.

I don't have time to answer all of these now, but you will see a performance gain by using the optimal number of disks in a raidz2 array. Here's the reasoning...

As i understand, the performance issues with 4K disks isn’t just partition alignment, but also an issue with RAID-Z’s variable stripe size.
    RAID-Z basically works to spread the 128KiB recordsizie upon on its data disks. That would lead to a formula like:
    128KiB / (nr_of_drives – parity_drives) = maximum (default) variable stripe size
    Let’s do some examples:
    3-disk RAID-Z = 128KiB / 2 = 64KiB = good
    4-disk RAID-Z = 128KiB / 3 = ~43KiB = BAD!
    5-disk RAID-Z = 128KiB / 4 = 32KiB = good
    9-disk RAID-Z = 128KiB / 8 = 16KiB = good
    4-disk RAID-Z2 = 128KiB / 2 = 64KiB = good
    5-disk RAID-Z2 = 128KiB / 3 = ~43KiB = BAD!
    6-disk RAID-Z2 = 128KiB / 4 = 32KiB = good
    10-disk RAID-Z2 = 128KiB / 8 = 16KiB = good
    That being said, I ran a (9) disk raidz2 and could read/write to the array on the box at ~500-600MBps, so that's not too bad
    Last edited by rubylaser; December 4th, 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Beans

I have a few hard drives in my computer dedicated to videos, music and media, and one NAS server in my house with the same content, I plan to consolidate it into one homebuilt NAS server, and then sync it with a mates that I will help him build, that way we both get off site storage in the form of each others NAS; it will also help with storage for a few of our projects we are sharing files on already over dropbox...

I think NAS servers are a brilliant idea, it also means my housemates can store media on there as well, making one master collection of all our entertainment, and I can view it on a Boxee or similar media center device (not decided on what yet)

Got a mate that wants one too? you could both get the mutual benefit of the security of an off site security system that way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks all!

@rubylaser

Brilliant news about flashing the LSI controller!
    I will read into it when I get chance. Thanks for the link.

The example you quoted about the 4K disks is the same thing I read. Before they listed the formulas they said that 6 / 10 disks are preferred. I couldn't understand why as 128kb still fits nicely over a 4 disk RAIDz2 setup.

@Toriku

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who wants to build / use a NAS.
    Great idea though. All my important data is backed up off site, but the more backups the better.

Have you spec'd out a server yet, or are you using all your current hardware to build one?
    How do you plan on syncing each other’s contents? I'm curious as this may be handy for backing up my family's PC's to my NAS.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345