Thread: i used USB Startup Disc Creator but pc won't boot to ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso

Hybrid View

Beans

i used USB Startup Disc Creator but pc won't boot to ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso

Good morning everyone, I'm trying to boot Ubuntu 11.1 from my flash drive using USB Startup Disc Creator, but when it says to reboot my pc - it just loads right back into original os. Am I missing a step or something - it seemed like pretty simple instructions to me.

thanx for any help you could throw my way!!

Beans

Re: i used USB Startup Disc Creator but pc won't boot to ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.is

Have you got your computer set to boot from the USB rather than the hard drive?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: i used USB Startup Disc Creator but pc won't boot to ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.is

Have you checked in the BIOS menu system, that USB is before internal hard disk drive in the boot order?

Sometimes that is not working, because the computer thinks that the USB drive is a hard drive. Then you need to change the order of the hard drives, and put the USB stick before the internal HDD.

If it is still not working, try with unetbootin
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11546560&postcount=5

or the method in this link
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1958073

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have had the problem, I think it is my laptop that does it, that no matter what I set in BIOS or anywhere else, it will only boot from USB if I manually go into the boot menu every time and point it to the USB medium.

Getting to the boot menu is generally a key-press during boot up, same as getting into BIOS. You'll need to watch your screen during boot to see what it is.
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    I have had the problem, I think it is my laptop that does it, that no matter what I set in BIOS or anywhere else, it will only boot from USB if I manually go into the boot menu every time and point it to the USB medium.

Getting to the boot menu is generally a key-press during boot up, same as getting into BIOS. You'll need to watch your screen during boot to see what it is.
    thanx, audiomick this is my first time working with Linux, so I'm having trouble getting into (actually, I'm having trouble finding it) the boot menu. I thought I was supposed to press F1 or F10 when I reboot my pc. Actually I tried that during the Dell startup screen and also during the screens after that but I'm not getting anywhere I can point it to the USB medium.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by manatarms View Post
    thanx, audiomick this is my first time working with Linux, so I'm having trouble getting into (actually, I'm having trouble finding it) the boot menu. I thought I was supposed to press F1 or F10 when I reboot my pc. Actually I tried that during the Dell startup screen and also during the screens after that but I'm not getting anywhere I can point it to the USB medium.
    On my Dell dimension 4600, F2 goes directly to the BIOS menu, and F12 goes to a 'Boot device menu'. So try to press each of those keys (or F9, DEL, or ENTER) at the first splash screen at [re]boot! If that does not help, browse the internet to find out how reach your boot settings.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 19th, 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: moved alternatives (or F9, DEL, or ENTER)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    On my Dell dimension 4600, F2 goes directly to the BIOS menu, and F12 goes to a 'Boot device menu'. So try to press each of those keys (or F9, DEL, or ENTER) at the first splash screen at [re]boot! If that does not help, browse the internet to find out how reach your boot settings.
    All of those. I think I have seen F11 and esc as well. The buggers are all different...
    Michael