Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a note of appreciation to all of you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Just a note of appreciation to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexOnVinyl View Post
    I recently went to http://askubuntu.org - and most of the time when I asked questions, a lot of the responses I got were snobbish and rude to things that I needed help with.
    Can you please link to where people were being rude?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jockyburns View Post
    I found the site fairly unhelpful, as questions asked quickly went down the list and a few days later were to be found on page 10 or 15 (where no one looks) At least here, you can find your own posts easily and quickly.
    If your question is not responded to right away then it's likely missing information, you need to keep adding the results of your research in your question as you try to solve your problem, this not only bumps your question but gives the next person a better chance of answering it since you've added more information.

Also, you can click on your username at the top of the site to see a list of your questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lack of information from the questioner, is a problem no matter where you go. I don't know how many times I've asked for additional information when answering a question. The ones I always laugh at are the questions about video problems, where all the computer information is included except for make/model of graphics adapter.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    Can you please link to where people were being rude?
    I know of this link but Scott's response was misunderstood, IMHO, by OP which led to a couple of responses, at least one of which I reported as being "off-color". These are not visible now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    These are not visible now.
    Ok so someone saw those as inappropriate and flagged them and it was removed, good.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I haven't visited it much in recent months, but I can see how AskUbuntu might occasionally be perceived as being less friendly than the forums. "Rude" doesn't seem accurate though.

AskUbuntu looks to be more basic, it's questions being asked and answered, no frills, just information. Though I haven't seen outright rudeness there, answers do sometimes seem a little condescending, less patient with people who haven't mastered the proper way to ask questions. This, I suppose, could be seen as rudeness by new users who may already be feeling a little frustrated, insecure and defensive.

Probably the hardest lesson for new users to learn is to develop a tougher skin, otherwise it's too easy to get discouraged. Sometimes we users just have to focus on getting the information we need, without taking the delivery of that information too personally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post Re: Just a note of appreciation to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Car View Post
    Probably the hardest lesson for new users to learn is to develop a tougher skin, otherwise it's too easy to get discouraged. Sometimes we users just have to focus on getting the information we need, without taking the delivery of that information too personally.
    I adamantly disagree with you entirely about that whole statement. New users are new, and should be treated with patience and understanding - yes, I know it's hard to answer the same question over and over but that's how people learn, understand, grasp ideas, questions and questions and questions. It's comparable to a new game, you learn the rules, you ask questions, you make mistakes, you ask for help, the eldest more players of that game are next to the only other candidates for offering advice and help. That's the way it works.

If you think a new user needs to "develop a tougher skin", and take the rudeness and utter lack of patience for someone who is eager to learn and gain knowledge that may help someone else in the future - then I feel sorry for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I know of this link but Scott's response was misunderstood, IMHO, by OP which led to a couple of responses, at least one of which I reported as being "off-color". These are not visible now.
    You're correct, I posted that and the user by which went by "Scott" was rude and I called him out on it and said that if that's the way someone is to respond to someone asking for help that it was entirely uncalled for and that I refuse to use such a site.

Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    Ok so someone saw those as inappropriate and flagged them and it was removed, good.
    Yeah they were flagged, I could careless, I don't take lightly to people who know more about something or have more knowledge on a subject and reply just to nitpick at the problem. I came for answers, and it was clearly an example of what I was looking at - which was why I took the screen shot, providing a video would've been even more out of the way and probably gotten more criticism.

So there you have it George. That's why I dislike your community. Its the members who can't take a simple, newbie-issue seriously and would rather respond in a rude fashion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AlexOnVinyl View Post
    So there you have it George. That's why I dislike your community. Its the members who can't take a simple, newbie-issue seriously and would rather respond in a rude fashion.
    Ok so one person was a jerk to you and then it was flagged the inappropriate issue was handled by the Ubuntu community and then you blame them for fixing your problem?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    There have been many criticisms of ubuntu forums over the years, but as far as getting help, or having a decent conversation, nothing beats this place. I have been a member of MANY forums, and nothing compares to this place as far as an all-around helpful/accepting/understanding/family friendly/insightful/civil debates/thought provoking/silliness......

I defy anyone to find a better all around forum.
    i second that notion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast