Thread: Lubuntu 11.10; "Don't ask for password at login" is grey and uncheckable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lubuntu 11.10; "Don't ask for password at login" is grey and uncheckable

I'm playing around with Lubuntu right now to get ready for putting it on a very old system and I'd like to be able to set it up so that it doesn't ask the user for their account password and automatically log them in, like you can do in Ubuntu. This is a fresh install in a VM and I can't seem to figure out how to enable this option. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lubuntu 11.10; "Don't ask for password at login" is grey and uncheckable

Hi, at /etc/lxdm/default.conf, after [base], put a line that reads:
    Code:
    autologin=yourusernamehere
    (put your username as convenient) and reboot. That should be it.

EDIT: here you can find a lot of very useful info about LUbuntu (thaks to forumite amijjawad):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755
    Last edited by JC Cheloven; April 19th, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Distro

Hey thanks a lot! That did the trick. Also the link you provided is very helpful; thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by diablo75 View Post
    Hey thanks a lot! That did the trick. Also the link you provided is very helpful; thanks!
    You're very welcome!

BTW, at the time to install to your old computer, you'll be asked whether a user should be automatically logged in. If you choose that at this time, you don't have to tweak anything afterwards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JC Cheloven View Post
    You're very welcome!

BTW, at the time to install to your old computer, you'll be asked whether a user should be automatically logged in. If you choose that at this time, you don't have to tweak anything afterwards.
    I would have done that were it actually an option. Try lubuntu in a vm sometime and you'll see

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by diablo75 View Post
    I would have done that were it actually an option. Try lubuntu in a vm sometime and you'll see
    Hi, I did that, mainly out of curiosity (a VB install should behave just the same as a 'real' one). I listened some music from your signature meanwhile. Ah, that modern use of compressors!

To the matter: When the installer shows the window "Who are you?", and asks for a username and psswd, etc, there are also some choices:
    automatic session login <-- the one you want
    ask password to session login
    encrypt your home partition
    Just in case you've overseen it...
    Cheers
    JC