Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtualbox and Windows 7 Aero effects

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Virtualbox and Windows 7 Aero effects

Hi,

Thank you for the advice, but i still am not able to activate Aero?

I have followed all the steps, Maximum video memory i can allocate is 256mb.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldbrijo View Post
    Hi,

Thank you for the advice, but i still am not able to activate Aero?

I have followed all the steps, Maximum video memory i can allocate is 256mb.
    Tried changing the theme? I found that it did not automatically select the Aero theme.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    You can run Aero under VirtualBox, but its not that straightforward.

First make sure you have given the machine 128MB or more of video RAM and enabled 2D and 3D effects.

Then you have to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions inside Windows 7.

To get 3D support though this has to be done in safe mode as it replaces some Windows system files, so hit F8 when you boot the VM. Then select Devices > Install Guest Additions from the VM menu, this will mount the required ISO. Fire up the CD from Windows Explorer and the installation will start.

When you select the 3D support checkbox a dialog will pop up, make sure you click No at this point or only the 2D drivers will be installed. Click on install, let the machine reboot, and hey-presto you can enable Aero.
    thank you-- this really does work. the 3d support is quite buggy for me though, so i ended up deciding to stick with vanilla windows until 3d support is more stable on virtualbox.

Beans

Thanks for helping with the Aero effect. That works perfectly.
    But when I have it installed using the safemode method the resolution is stuck very low.
    I tried running Virtualbox with my Nvidia gpu but no luck.
    I do have both 2d and 3d checked in the settings. This is one of the reasons I like Vmware just a bit more than Virtualbox. But if it can be fixed that would be great. I'll download and try a windows X guest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12