Quote Originally Posted by anson123 View Post
just to add in what i have experienced....i have been using ubuntu since around version 6 and have had pretty good experiences up until version 11.10. i am kinda stuck at version 11.04 now. i also have a similar video card, the 9800M GTS and it seems like version 11.04 is the last ubuntu i can use with the proprietary nvidia drivers. i have tried both 11.10 and 12.04 and they work find without installing the nvidia drivers, but once insalled, the driver seems to lock up my system about 1-2 minutes after the desktop appears. This happens with both unity and kde desktops. while i don't absolutely need to use the nvidia drivers, i like to play diablo 3 and other video games now and then. honestly i am not sure if the problem is with the nvidia driver or how ubuntu handles it in versions 11.10 and 12.04.
I agree. I know that the latest version of the driver can be installed with Lucid Lynx 10.04 via the commands in that previous post.
But, I have no experience with any other versions. I decided to only use LTS versions and have 12.04 installed on a partition but,
I am not going to even attempt installing the latest driver until I have backed it up and then I'll see what happens.
As for the versions in between 10.04 and 12.04 I have no knowledge what so ever.
So, thanks for the update.