Thread: How does one rename lots of music files into the right ones using the intact ID-3tags

Beans

How does one rename lots of music files into the right ones using the intact ID-3tags

I couldnt find any relevant forum entry so here's my question to you.

What happened is this: I uploaded a bunch of songs from my old iPod, who is quite messed up after many manual reparations, to my laptop running ubuntu lucid lynx. I used a random iPod ripper sort of tool, don't even remember which. All the mp3 files are now there but they have crypted names eg. AAMJ, YHJD, ALQN etc.. I don't know why or how this happened but there you go.
    When I look at the ID-3 tags they still look correct, so to save the time of manually renaming all these files, could I automate this process?

I'm not exactly familiar with programming, but certainly interested in how you would approach this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How does one rename lots of music files into the right ones using the intact ID-3

EasyTag (in the repositories) can do this easily (you need to use the "scanner").

All in a GUI, so no need to code

Beans

Re: How does one rename lots of music files into the right ones using the intact ID-3

Thanks a lot, Steeperton! Works like a charm
    Last edited by zenonez; August 5th, 2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelled 'steeperton' wrong