Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

Beans

winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

Hey all,

Wine has rejected the winepulse patches for unrelated reasons to the patches themselves. As such the pulseaudio support isn't handled by wine, As such I plan on supporting it in this thread.

Quick Q&A (might be updated later):

Q: What versions of wine are supported?
    A: At the moment I only do plan to do support new releases of wine, from 1.5.2 onward. However the patches themselves can be backported to 1.4 if there's demand for it.

Q: I want to know if a sound related bug is caused by winepulse or not.
    A: Go to winecfg, in the tab 'libraries', enter 'winepulse.drv' in the box and click on add, click yes on the warning. Select winepulse.drv and change load order to 'disabled'. Now try to trigger your bug again, if it was a winepulse bug it shouldn't trigger any more. To undo the change: select 'winepulse.drv' and click 'delete'.
    A2 (easier and preferred): From 1.5.3 onward, launch your program with WINENOPULSE=1 wine program.exe to temporarily disable winepulse for that program.

Q: So this bug is really a winepulse bug, how do I report it?
    A: Leave a message here, I'm watching the thread.

Q: I'm a package maintainer for a different distribution, how do I get the latest patches?
    A: If there's demand, I'll try to keep a public git tree you can use to generate patches from. Again reply in this thread!

Q: Sound works better than with winealsa!
    A: Feel free to share it here too, I'm trying to see if it's worth maintaining these patches for everyone, so feedback is welcome.

Q: I'm using pulseaudio->jack with pulseaudio version less than 1.99.3 and sound works horrible.
    A: This commit should fix things.

Q: Where are the patches?
    A: I rebase the git tree around the time of every release, see http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia.git/shortlog

Q: I get underruns/bad sound on some applications if I don't run another application with sound in the background. Sometimes killall pulseaudio helps.
    A: Pulseaudio < 3.0 has a bug that was fixed near the release of 3.0, try upgrading to pulseaudio 3.0 or newer.
    Last edited by vladdy; May 22nd, 2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Added link to patches, added warning about pulseaudio < 3.0

Beans

Re: winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

Currently these patches are included in the Wine PPA that many of you are using (for wine1.5 package). I may change this in the future to a different PPA, however, to keep it "official" (ie upstream).

Anyway, feedback appreciated.

Beans

That's incredibly disappointing to hear

I actually found this thread because I have been following the wine/multimedia.git commits and saw the following commit: http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia....33d2918fedbfd1

I'd really like to know what the new excuse is for rejecting winepulse, as the previous excuse (an OpenAL audio engine) was thrown out some time ago. It completely boggles my mind that the Wine project leadership does not see this as a massive issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm right there with you. It was one thing 4 - 5 years ago when the Pulse discussion started; almost no distros used Pulse, so no need to even consider wasting limited resources on it. But now, every major distro, for better or worse, has moved to Pulse. It makes no sense to continue stonewalling it. I understand that there are some technical issues involved, but the public perception is that the Wine "powers that be" are being petty about this whole thing and are failing to consider its impact on their growing user base. It is a completely baffling disconnect on their part.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

The rumors of patch rejection by the Wine leadership seem to be exaggerated:

From http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10495#c352 :
    Andrew Eikum 2012-04-19 07:22:20 CDT (In reply to comment #351)
    > the Wine leadership seems to think that denying the prevalence of
    > Pulseaudio is the best solution.

Nope. This stuff is hard and requires careful development and testing to create as few regressions as possible. We really wanted the ALSA->PulseAudio path to work, and we tried very hard to make it work for everybody. Trust me, we know about the prevalence of PulseAudio: we spent months trying to work around bugs in alsa-plugins, and the ALSA driver is full of hacks as a result.

Unfortunately, it turns out that alsa-plugins isn't robust enough for Wine's purposes. Because of the complexity of this problem and the large increase in work required to maintain yet another driver, we take the process of adding a new driver very seriously.

It has become clear that we need a PulseAudio driver, and one will get in eventually. Please continue to be patient as we work towards a solution that is acceptable for Wine. I promise there is active work being done on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, that's good to hear, but at this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

That makes two of us.

Beans

The comment by austin on the bug report is wrong, I have in fact given up on trying to get it in wine after the current maintainer decided to drop the patch without even looking at it.

And iirc aeikum planned to address it by rewriting my patch.. derp
    Last edited by vladdy; April 28th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vladdy View Post
    The comment by austin on the bug report is wrong, I have in fact given up on trying to get it in wine after the current maintainer decided to drop the patch without even looking at it.

And iirc aeikum planned to address it by rewriting my patch.. derp
    Thanks for the update. That is not good news. I hope you don't mind that, as a concerned end-user, I have a desire to push back on that kind of behavior via the Wine bugzilla thread.

Beans

Cool Re: winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

I'm not sure that would do any good, doubt you can get it accepted into wine by upsetting people.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast