Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

Beans

Re: winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

Ok, following the instructions to either disable the loading of winepulse.drv or using WINENOPULSE=1, I get no audio drivers and thus no sound.

As my problem only exist when I can hear, it's a moot point.

I can however more aptly describe the issue. Each sound byte is machine gunned out for about 0.5 seconds, perhaps 5 times... It's so annoying that I can't really vouch for the accuracy of these figures. I believe it's much like the writer is writing into a larger ring buffer then the reader is reading from. Thus the audio is both repeated and clipped.
    Last edited by cheako; May 7th, 2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: They are called sound bytes.

Beans

After some more testing I've discovered that Diablo II(this is not the same as Diablo III) does not work well using the winealsa driver, but works much better using the winepulse driver.

The only output that has an issue is the a52, Stereo PCM works just fine no matter what settings I use. Pulse seams to always add static(even when using PCM), especially to the opening horn section(like in a band). There is more static using the a52 driver and using the winealsa driver there is a few notes then static then nothing.

So now I've got applications on both sides and the need to have an easy/efficient method for switching grows. I'll likely write a script that edits the user.reg file.

Beans

MOHAirborneDemo.exe (Medal of Honor) has scratchy and even Skippy sound in some places with the winepulse driver.

The winealsa driver locks up AirborneDemo when using pulse to a52.
    Last edited by cheako; May 8th, 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Mistaken test results.

Beans

Is this forum dead?
    I feel it's the only safe place to talk about sound in ALSA when using Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cheako View Post
    After some more testing I've discovered that Diablo II(this is not the same as Diablo III) does not work well using the winealsa driver, but works much better using the winepulse driver.
    Did you have pulseaudio running? I had pretty bad sound when winepulse.drv did not exist and I used Wine without "killing" pulseaudio first.

Beans

Look, I don't want to encourage people to switch between winealsa and winepulse. I want to use winepulse if it's available, if there are specific issues you want to report I'm listening, but please give reports that are clear enough for me to understand:

1. What are you doing to trigger the bad behavior with winepulse
    2. Does it happen with winealsa too (to isolate bugs that aren't in winepulse)
    3. Any more information that might help me pin problems down, for example fixme/err's related to winepulse or audio in the console

If I ask for it please provide more information, else you will be forced to keep working around forever, instead of spending a few extra minutes fixing it with me finally.

Beans

When i use winepulse in DiabloII, then sound is about one second delayed and crackling. When i use winealsa, sound is still crackling but timing is correct.
    When i use winepulse in CounterStrike, sound is also about one second delayed and crackling (only in menu in game is not crackling only delay), but when i use winealsa, sound is good.
    In both cases in console is this fixme:

Code:
    fixme:pulse:AudioRenderClient_GetBuffer 0x69e9948 Not using pulse locked data: 0 16374/17590 0/17590
    DiabloII has this fixme three times, CounterStrike only one

My wine version is 1.5.5

P.S.: Sorry for my English
    Last edited by CoCumis; May 29th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
    Did you have pulseaudio running? I had pretty bad sound when winepulse.drv did not exist and I used Wine without "killing" pulseaudio first.
    I was using PA via the ALSA pulse plug-in.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vladdy View Post
    2. Does it happen with winealsa too (to isolate bugs that aren't in winepulse)
    There are two ways(at least of the procedures I'm willing to even try) to accomplish this.

a. Use ALSA with the pulse plugin.
    b. Use ALSA with any number of the other available plug-ins. Typically this will be a hardware device, but it could also be using dmix.

Other methods include uninstalling PA and even stopping or killing PA. I've found pasuspender to deliver as advertised and consider it to be the only method of disabling PA in order to implement option b. I'm willing to accept the consequences of that descision and work with PA developers to correct *any bugs that pasuspender doesn't cover.

* I have yet to see any bugs with this configuration, aside from what wine introduces with it's legacy/depreciated sink detection code.
    Last edited by cheako; May 30th, 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vladdy View Post
    Look, I don't want to encourage people to switch between winealsa and winepulse.
    Sorry about that, perhaps in time we can look forward to achieving this. However from my view point it's currently a necessary evil. I believe it would be important, for debugging and in the mean time, to have a good set of instructions detailing how to do this available and supported.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast