Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

Beans

Re: winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

Cheako (you're Mike Mestnik, am I right?), sorry for making noise, but could you please explain what are you trying to achieve by posting long messages about getting winealsa.drv to work with a PA as an output device to an unofficial support thread for winepulse.drv? Had you accidentally chosen a wrong forum/thread to post?

Problems with winealsa.drv behaving wrong with PA IMHO should be posted to WineHQ's forums mirrored with related bug report to Wine's Bugzilla. Maarten had done a wonderful work implementing winepulse.drv and we all should be thankful for that. On the other hand the fact that he had done it is not a reason to involve him into flameblown discussions about winealsa.drv "support" for PA and about Wine devs refusing to include his work in main Wine tree as it is - there's no point in that as it wouldn't result in anything positive.

Just my two cents.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CoCumis View Post
    When i use winepulse in DiabloII, then sound is about one second delayed and crackling. When i use winealsa, sound is still crackling but timing is correct.
    When i use winepulse in CounterStrike, sound is also about one second delayed and crackling (only in menu in game is not crackling only delay), but when i use winealsa, sound is good.
    In both cases in console is this fixme:

Code:
    fixme:pulse:AudioRenderClient_GetBuffer 0x69e9948 Not using pulse locked data: 0 16374/17590 0/17590
    DiabloII has this fixme three times, CounterStrike only one

My wine version is 1.5.5

P.S.: Sorry for my English
    I have exact same problem. It was working perfectly in ppa version of 1.5.4, so I think this is a regression.
    Also adding "tsched=0" option after "load-module module-udev-detect" in /etc/pulse/default.pa did not help.

Beans

Might be related to dsound changes, pulseaudio might start to misbehave on larger latencies. I think it's probably the dsound changes breaking things, can you try to set windows version to vista or higher to find out? Diablo should use native audio calls if version is not xp.

Beans

I use windows version set to windows 7 as default. If You thought this. But I test also set it directly to D2Multires.exe and it is still delayed.(Or am I misunderstand what You want?)

Beans

Just updated this morning, the new pulse broke sound in wine for me. Its garbled at first, then quieter than normal.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First of all let me express my disappointment with the decision not to support winepusle at this time and general dismay at the state of audio in GNU/Linux.

AMD64 wine needs to depend on libasound2-plugins:i386

This was necessary for me because I wanted to play an old game with MIDI music--for which pulseaudio, ergo winepulse, has no interface.

Winealsa, using the default alsa interfaces detected, output horrible, crackling, laggy PCM.

Cheako's advice to get the winealsa->pulseaudio interface working proved invaluable.

In HKCU\Software\Wine\drivers\winealsa.drv I created a new multi-string value, ALSAOutputDevices, and added pulse as the first and only item in the list.

This allowed me to select Out: pulse in winecfg (which was always available in older version of wine), but my game still crashed with this error:
    Code:
    ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get)  Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so

Beans

Oh right, looks like wine has broken midi..

Sometimes I feel better if I DON'T look at what they come up with..

f6890ef0e227afd12ce2325497d0cae478602c7d looks evil, I don't get why they don't query that property off the default device instead, would have been less work, I'll see if I can add a workaround for pulse to it, sigh..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vladdy View Post
    Oh right, looks like wine has broken midi..

Sometimes I feel better if I DON'T look at what they come up with..

f6890ef0e227afd12ce2325497d0cae478602c7d looks evil, I don't get why they don't query that property off the default device instead, would have been less work, I'll see if I can add a workaround for pulse to it, sigh..
    Keep fighting the good fight!

Beans

I am Mike Mestnik.

It seams as though pulseaudio is unsupported at all when using wine, the only advice ppl get when asking on IRC is that you must completely uninstall pulseaduio.

As such, there is no other community for pulseaduio users and wine.

I know that these instructions are perhaps unwelcome here, however there is no better place for them. This could turn into unsupported hack center of the wine audio world, in for a penny in for a pound you Audio rebels.

To switch from winealsa to winepulse. Regedit the sting value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\drivers\Audio should be "alsa", "pulse", or perhaps even something else. I think "jack" is also supported.

Beans

Ok I've uploaded wine 1.5.7 with pulse17 and a new version of pulse18.

Changes since v17 from changelog:
    Code:
      * Winepulse v18 patch
        - Remove clock_pulse interpolation. It sadly couldn't work.
        - Allow 2 * MinimumPeriod for shared buffers
        - Fix all compiler warnings when compiling with 64-bits
        - Dynamically select low latency mode if less than 2 default periods
          are requested. This requires the rtkit patch to be useful.
      * rtkit patch
        - Uses rtkit to get realtime privileges in a safe manner.
          This allows for more accurate timing and less chance of underruns.
      * dsound patches to work nicer with winepulse
        - Rework that uses event-based handling for rendering. In testing
          with jackd, down to 3.3ms latency was possible. It will still
          underrun once every few seconds, so low latency is not on by
          default. 80 ms will be default latency.
      * mmdevapi patch to reactivate midi with winepulse
        - winmm will use winealsa for midi only
      * Add patch so default valgrind on precise won't crash
        - Don't bump fd limit with valgrind enabled.
    In human form: I use rtkit's hook for wine that never got upstream to add reliability to winepulse. dsound rendering has been reworked slightly. If you are insane and into pro audio winepulse can be used to go arbitrarily low in latency. Only for WASAPI mode though. Hopefully this will make winepulse even more stable than before, and you no longer need to enable winealsa for midi.

If latency interests you, the new default latency for dsound mode is 80 ms, which is still less than before. I can help you patch dsound to go lower than 80 ms if you want, but you should really use WASAPI mode if your audio software supports it since it will work by default then. I had 3.3ms from dsound with underruns every second piping pulseaudio to jackd. One has to find the lower bound right? Because of obvious reasons I never enabled this by default. This will never be possible with winealsa as far as I can tell..

~Maarten

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast