Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: winepulse in ubuntu wine ppa

wine 1.5.2 upgraded to 1.5.3 on Precise i386, using wine-ppa

fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599

adding winepulse.drv seems useless
    Last edited by dino99; April 30th, 2012 at 07:37 AM.

Beans

You don't even imagine how audio stuff is complex and badly designed.
    For years, wine has tried satisfying everyone with workarounds and hacky code.
    Even audio on Windows was a real pain.
    Microsoft decided with Vista to completely rewrite the audio stack.
    The new API is called MMDevAPI. Just google it and you'll see.

Have you ever looked at Andrew Eikum work ?
    Or read his mails on wine devel mailing list ?
    Just look at http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...author&s=Eikum and you'll see what I mean.
    No one wanted to work on audio and now there are some developers willing to improve audio in wine which mean fixing wine AND pulseaudio or alsa upstream.
    They are doing their best, really.

Like GDI has been painful for years, it's now not-complete-but-functional.
    Give them some time and be respectful for these volunteers (or not but whatever) who spend time for such a big project.

Beans

I also get the same message:

wine 1.5.2 upgraded to 1.5.3 on Precise i386, using wine-ppa

fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599

with addition to my application message: there are no compatible sound devices installed on this computer

Application: Cisco IP Communicator

If I try to change the Sound=Alsa with help of winetricks, I do not get any wine message but no audio, and get same message from application.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bibibobobibu View Post
    You don't even imagine how audio stuff is complex and badly designed.
    For years, wine has tried satisfying everyone with workarounds and hacky code.
    Even audio on Windows was a real pain.
    Microsoft decided with Vista to completely rewrite the audio stack.
    The new API is called MMDevAPI. Just google it and you'll see.

Have you ever looked at Andrew Eikum work ?
    Or read his mails on wine devel mailing list ?
    Just look at http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...author&s=Eikum and you'll see what I mean.
    No one wanted to work on audio and now there are some developers willing to improve audio in wine which mean fixing wine AND pulseaudio or alsa upstream.
    They are doing their best, really.

Like GDI has been painful for years, it's now not-complete-but-functional.
    Give them some time and be respectful for these volunteers (or not but whatever) who spend time for such a big project.
    We all know how crazy audio is, but this has been an ongoing discussion for over 5 years now with little to no action taken and when solutions are presented, like this Pulse driver, they are shot down emphatically. We've given them plenty of time, they just don't seem to be willing to work together on this. Like I said before, this is the impression they are giving the public, whether true or not, they need to address this in a clear and concise manner, once and for all.

Also, you act as though Maarten has done nothing in comparison:
    http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...or&s=Lankhorst

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

To those who are curious about the winediag messages, I added them to redirect questions about winepulse to this thread where I can provide support. I only support problems that result from using winepulse, for other problems you will still have to ask winehq.org.

glide007: Oh, looks like your problem is not related to winepulse then if no message pops up. Feel free to contact wine through official ways and they should be able to help you.

EDIT: I would also like to ask you not to disable winepulse just because of the winediag messages I added, it is likely winepulse works better than winealsa for you, and if not I'll do my best to fix it, provided that you let me know about your issues.
    Last edited by vladdy; May 1st, 2012 at 09:16 AM.

Beans

wine 1.5.3

Oblivion game
    The game starts and the sound works but when screen menu appear then it crashes

fixme:gstreamer:no_more_pads Done
    fixme:gstreamer:event_sink 0x649218c0 stub tag
    fixme:gstreamer:event_sink 0x649218f0 stub tag
    fixme:gstreamer:event_sink 0x64921920 stub tag
    fixme:gstreamer:event_sink 0x64921950 stub tag
    fixme:gstreamer:event_sink 0x64921980 stub tag
    fixme:gstreamer:event_sink 0x649219b0 stub tag
    fixme:gstreamer:GSTOutPin_QueryInterface No interface for {f185fe76-e64e-11d2-b76e-00c04fb6bd3d}!
    fixme:gstreamer:GSTOutPin_QueryInterface No interface for {31efac30-515c-11d0-a9aa-00aa0061be93}!

I was able to play Oblivion before on 11.10 but after upgrade for ubuntu 12.04 I could't play anymore due to gstreamer issues

I am using a clean wine prefix, I don't know if I would report bug for wine team since it seems more a ubuntu problem, because I had a lot hour of gameplay with no problem and no crashes on 11.10 and I was using wine 1.5.2, also, I tried 1.5.2 on 12.04 too.

EDIT.

Fixed by removing gstreamer-plugins-ugly and disabling quartz
    Last edited by killown; May 1st, 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Beans

Just a note to say I got the winepulse driver going in Fedora 16 with the standard wine package and it works hugely better than the alsa one, which would break up, underrun and sometimes crash. The Pulse driver sounds great and hasn't had any glitches so far (ok, only one day and one app..).

A few quick notes on what I did (warning: ugly hack + not for the uninitiated):

Code:
     # ensure your Fedora wine version matches that of this git repo
    git clone git://repo.or.cz/wine/multimedia.git # optionally, --depth 1
    sudo yum install glibc-devel.i686 pulseaudio-libs-devel.i686  # YMMV
    cd multimedia/
    ./configure --without-x --without-freetype  # we only want to build the pulse driver
    make
    cd dlls/winepulse.drv
    chmod a+rX winepulse.drv.so fakedlls/winepulse.drv.fake
    sudo cp winepulse.drv.so /usr/lib/wine
    sudo cp winepulse.drv.fake /usr/lib/wine/fakedlls/  # optional..
    cd /usr/lib/wine
    # ugly hack, because I couldn't force it into the winecfg and didn't want to reinstall all of wine
    sudo mv winealsa.drv.so no winealsa.drv.so-original
    sudo ln -s winepulse.drv.so winealsa.drv.so
     # to restore the original
    sudo  rm winealsa.drv.so ; ln -s winealsa.drv.so-original winealsa.drv.so
    Here's hoping this driver gets picked up by the Fedora packagers, at least until the wine devs come to their senses / finish their own pulse driver..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Grant View Post
    Here's hoping this driver gets picked up by the Fedora packagers, at least until the wine devs come to their senses / finish their own pulse driver..
    First of all thanks and I'm glad about another happy customer.
    Second, no wine won't write their own driver, at best they'll rewrite my driver poorly.. wish I was kidding

Beans

Hello,
    I'm re-packaging ubuntu-wine into my own cheako/wine4diabloiii ppa, I just want to clear up how I'm getting wine that runs Diablo III.

Firstly I want to outline how I've setup my sound testing environment. Mainly so that others can nic it but also so that my configuration is clear.

Code:
    $ cat /etc/asound.conf
    pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.pasuspender {
            type asym
            playback.pcm {
                    type plug
                    slave.pcm "spdif:CARD=SB"
            }
            capture.pcm {
                    type plug
                    slave.pcm "null"
            }
    }
    ctl.pasuspender {
            type asym
            playback.pcm {
                    type plug
                    slave.pcm "spdif:CARD=SB"
            }
            capture.pcm {
                    type plug
                    slave.pcm "null"
            }
    }
    pcm.a52 {
    @args [CARD]
    @args.CARD {
    type string
    }
    type rate
    slave {
    pcm {
    type a52
    bitrate 448
    channels 6
    card $CARD
    }
    rate 48000 #required somehow, otherwise nothing happens in PulseAudio
    }
    }
    The last bit is specific to my Sony Receiver, but what's important in the default for pulse AND the setting for pasuspender that routes to the hardware, as the current Church of Wine instructs. On my setup the winealsa driver has 3 or 4 targets, I'll list em in a special way.

Configuring the winealsa driver TOOK a lot of asking questions and searching/reading, but in the end I only go it work after reading the source code... Please Fix This! I'll try and help.

regedit to:
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\drivers\winealsa.drv
    Create a new Multi string value called ALSAOutputDevices.

This is a hack/workaround for winealsa. Currently winealsa uses a vary ancient, to say the least, API for scanning the devices. Yes, they have been asked to change but are just ignoring the ALSA developers... Sound familiar? On the same note the current winealsa driver has some vary PA specific code, if it had been me I'd have forked winealsa just to support PA. Instead now we have a winealsa driver that's not suitable for any one, good going.

Code:
    plug:pasuspender
    plug:'a52:CARD=SB'
    plug:spdif
    pulse
    Now wine can use the libasound devices that it won't detect like it should. Another issue I have that I can't find a solution to is "How can I get wine to not list all the other PCMs?" I really really really hate scrolling past em in winecfg, there is a dialog that could stand to be at least 4x higher.

I have one more bug with winealsa that could use some work. Currently when I'm using pasuspender I have to run wine under a command, gee it's pasuspender. I'd like an option or just plain auto-detection(assuming it works flawlessly and perhaps can be overridden) to do thins in winealsa. I've stated the vary simple reason else where, it's so that wine's configuration can be in control of this. My current solution is to have two scripts to call wine, what if I call the wrong one by mistake? The other reason is because, asside from the auto detecting if pulse is being use, it's a vary simple change to make and even more the code would have to be protected by something like #ifdef _HAS_PULSE_H and thus only even compile on systems that have PA.

Now I understand that this is a forum for winepulse and I'm almost 80 lines in and not one mention of that till now. The point is that I've tested every one of these with winealsa and they all work flawlessly with Diablo III. What won't work is winepulse, there is an echo seams like every sound is repeated 3 or 4 times.

What can I do to identify this or track it down?

To switch from winealsa to winepulse or the other way around(vice versa). Regedit the sting value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\drivers should be "alsa", "pulse", or perhaps even something else. I think "jack" is also supported.

Now I'm going to go back and perform that manditory testing of winepulse. I didn't yet because this is long enough already.

While I'm at it, winecfg has one bug you should know about. Setting changes don't effect the Test Sound button, yeah I know I can't help laughing right now also. That button will continually regurgitate sound using only the settings wine originally started with... I might not have even caught this if my Received didn't jump up and say "Hi Dolby Digital Surround Sound." when configured to use Stereo PCM. This would have had me going for a bit with "No audio in Diablo, but works in winecfg."
    Last edited by cheako; May 12th, 2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Forgot important bit of info, get rid of useless link, missing space.

Beans

Ohh, yeah. I'd also like a simpler method to load winepulse|winealsa. I think I will look into the setting library as you had for winepulse. However if I disable winealsa.drv then I get no sound driver.

I'll keep playing with it, but either way the current situation is both unbearable and inappropriate.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast