Thread: RAM question

Beans

Re: RAM question

k thx.
    I'll try saving up for 1 then.
    But 64 gb is a little low on space.
    Is there a way to compensate.
    I don't want cloud storage.
    However i do have a few external harddrives that i've used for time machine and cloning on my mac.
    Could i use those on the desktop running ubuntu if it only had 64 gb and just sort of shared hard drives?

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    The EeeBox computers are fairly low performance so there isn't much you can do.

You can't upgrade the CPU or GPU. You now have extra RAM in case you need it (probably don't really, Ubuntu is pretty efficient).

The SSD will make a marked difference in the amount of time spent waiting for things to load. Even a low capacity one like 64 gigs should be good, as long as it is decent quality (NOT Kingston)
    +1. That type of extremely small PC really doesn't have any upgrade paths except what you've done for memory and the possibility of an SSD. Just remember, after things have loaded, it will still be the same - same cpu speed, same memory speed, etc.. Only disk I/O's will be faster. I have a 64gb SSD I run Ubuntu from. If you need more that 64gb, there area 128 SSD's and I've even seen a 256gb SSD floating around. Things have greatly improved with SSD's, but keep in mind they still won't last as long as a hard disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by seal308 View Post
    k thx.
    I'll try saving up for 1 then.
    But 64 gb is a little low on space.
    Is there a way to compensate.
    I don't want cloud storage.
    However i do have a few external harddrives that i've used for time machine and cloning on my mac.
    Could i use those on the desktop running ubuntu if it only had 64 gb and just sort of shared hard drives?
    Yeah, you can happily use the SSD as / and an external HDD as /home. Or put / and /home on the SSD and use the external HDD for music and movies and such. You'd be surprised how far 64 gigs can go when you're not putting movies in that space.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123