Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu wont boot

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu wont boot

Hi!, KrabbyLinux,

You Posted:
    How can i deactivate the Nvidia drivers and activate the standard Drivers with the terminal? Might this solve the problem?
    It might, but it may be even worse.
    The following will do the first and reinstall the chosen version. Alternatively, stop at the blue high-lighted line and reboot, type "add" in the Dash and run 'Additional Hardware' if the default drivers do not work satisfactorily. This will install the nvidia-current driver, but may also offer another choice as well.

Take your pick.

To Install a nvidia driver from the NVIDIA Downloads site, it is necessary to CD to the folder where you have downloaded the .run file, make it executable and run it.
    First, you should add some Blacklists to the /etc/modprobe.d folder, and then remove any previous drivers.
    As the nvidia driver must only be installed when the GUI Xorg server and screen is inactive, reboot to a Text Terminal, or shut down the Xsession from a GUI screen,

To do this check the /etc/modprobe.d folder for a file named blacklist.conf,
    If it does not exist you will need to create one.

In the terminal enter:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    then add:
    Code:
    # Added for nvidia driver.
    blacklist vga16fb 
    blacklist rivafb  blacklist rivatv
    blacklist nouveau 
    blacklist lbm-nouveau
    blacklist nvidiafb  
    blacklist nvidia-173
    blacklist nvidia-96
    And Save As:' /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.'

Reboot, preferable to Restart, and either:
    1. From a GUI screen Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop    # 'gdm' in place of 'lightdm' if < 11.10
    OR:
    2. From the Grub Menu, put cursor on the Ubuntu entry you intend as your primary usage and press 'e' to edit,
    Go to the Linux boot or default line, where it should have ' ro quiet splash' and add ' text'.
    press Ctrl+x to boot.
    At the prompt log in and enter password. [ It will not show anything, press 'enter' when complete.]

To remove redundant or faulty remnants of previous installations:
    Code:
    uname -r
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc-4.5 g++-4.5 libxi-dev libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r' # substitute output of 'uname -r' here. 
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall 
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    At this point choose whether to use 'Additional ' or a downloaded .run file, if the later continue as below, otherwise reboot.

CD to where the nvidia file is and enter: 'dir'.
    This will check you are in the right place and enable you to copy the exact name of the file you have downloaded, and substitute it in the following:
    Code:
    cd /home/username/Downloads
    dir
    sudo chmod a+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run  # Check the exact spelling; 'x86' is for 32bit  
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run               # ditto
    Follow screen instructions.
    You may get a warning that nouveau is running and must be purged first, but carry on, that's what the blacklists are for.
    When complete reboot.
    nvidia-installer, nvidia-settings and nvidia-XServer-config will be installed and you can adjust things to suit your hardware and wishes.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This will probably take a whole day for me. I dont understand how all of it works ( how to uninstall drivers for example) Took me 3 hours even to mount my USBdrive.

I will try it. If I have some time at sunday. You didnt mention the upgrade thing. I am not able to upgrade my system with the terminal (offline)?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Krabby.Linux View Post
    Does noone have any ideas ? I need my System and the files .

If I download the new Ubuntu Version ( Beta) on a CD. Can i start from the CD and install the new System as an upgrade so that all my files and programs are still on my disk?

If i manage to get internet access with my notebook, how can i upgrade to the newest Ubuntu (beta). I only know the command "update-manager-d" but i cant use update-manager with the terminal.
    .......You didnt mention the upgrade thing. I am not able to upgrade my system with the terminal (offline)?
    Thanks
    I thought I was giving you enough to keep you busy as it was!!

Prefix to all that follows with "AFAIK" !!

It is [will be] possible to do an Upgrade to 12.04 with Update Manager from 11.04, and, presumably, from 11.10, once 12.04 is released, but you did not confirm which version you have at present.
    I would not advise you to upgrade to 12.04(Beta), the first 'stable' version is only a few days away.

EDIT 2: I see from Update Manager that 12.04LTS is now available as an upgrade, so the above para is partly out-of-date.
    Even then, if yo
    u have disk space, it would be better to do a clean install, to another partition, preferably to different HDD.

Edit 3: Evidently, that was an Update Manager misstook: Release is not yet [23 April].

Also, I would advise running it from a downloaded .iso to a CD or USB and try it out with your hardware before installing it. That can be done 'offline' provided you have internet access on another computer, or if you have a dual-boot and can use Windows to make the LiveCD/USB.

"update-manager-d" or "update-manager-c" will tell you what updates or upgrades are available, but Update Manager itself needs a graphical environment.

Certainly it is possible to do such things from a text terminal without a graphical interface being available, but that is beyond my competence to explain in detail. The only time I tried was a dismal and complete disaster !!

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; April 23rd, 2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: dualboot note added. LTS note added ++
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!, All, There is a new driver, 295.49 available from nvidia downloads
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html

Noon Friday May 4th;
    Code:
    nvidia-installer --latest
    now returns: v295.49 and
    Code:
    nvidia-installer -f
    will install 295.49 after un-installing the previous version.

NVNews says of version295.49:
    Please note: This NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release supports GeForce 6xxx and newer NVIDIA GPUs
    Chao!, bogan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12