Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unity/compiz = dunzo!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity/compiz = dunzo!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Autonomist View Post
    I fixed it myself. Hours of googling, and typing hordes of random crap into terminal fixed the issue. apparently purging compiz core, unity, and then doing this:

did the trick. and i did NOT have to completely fresh install ubuntu. -__-
    Well done you! Now, you have learned a couple of things.

1) Only you can fix your system when you have done something to mess it up.

2) Not to expect other people to have a simple answer ready and waiting. Apparently it is often necessary to do just this:

Hours of googling, and typing hordes of random crap into terminal fixed the issue.
    3) Not to run an OS cleanup utility on a development branch because there are many libraries that need replacing but first the replacements have to be put in place. The cleanup utility took out those libraries but it was not capable of replacing them. Better to let Update Manager do it when it is ready to do it.

4) It is your choice to spend all those hours googling and typing random ****. Me? I would just install. It is a lot less painful and quicker.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

In case you missed above, i was asking for HELP on HOW to install but no one replied. i was ignored. therefore, i had to do hours of googling. yeah, a "quick' install would have been painlessm but considering the fact that i have no cds and couldn't find an iso file for a usb, no one would help me when i asked how to do it from inside ubuntu.

so no, it wasn't my choice to spend hours on google.

Beans
    Distro

I tired to share my own personal experience with this situation. I do not think people were ignoring you at all.

My apologies if you feel you have been dissed. It was not meant in that spirit.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

all's good. no need for an apology, ventrical! your response was appreciated. regardless of how, the issue has now been resolved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Question to all: How should we proceed to get Computer Janitor off Ubuntu repos? We see people having important stuff deleted for some cycles already. It does no good to have it there. No prob with the developer having it on a PPA anyway.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Computer Janitor is gone as of 11.10:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/a...ello-deja-dup/

Additionally, this sounds like someone used ubuntu-tweak which is also not on the default install. These tools can be dangerous to an unsuspecting user (not unlike similar tools on other OS's). I think removing computer janitor from the default cd was the right idea, but we can't do much about post-installation use besides filing bugs with those tool authors and asking for them to better safeguard/warn users if necessary.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guitara View Post
    Computer Janitor is gone as of 11.10:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/a...ello-deja-dup/

Additionally, this sounds like someone used ubuntu-tweak which is also not on the default install. These tools can be dangerous to an unsuspecting user (not unlike similar tools on other OS's). I think removing computer janitor from the default cd was the right idea, but we can't do much about post-installation use besides filing bugs with those tool authors and asking for them to better safeguard/warn users if necessary.

Thanks for this update guitara.. this is really helpful.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't believe it was your cleanup utility. This happened to me and I don't use a cleanup utility... It seems to occur during an update if you are using either (or both) Fallback mode or auto-login. Just a pattern with the "nothing but desktop" thing going on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123