Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unity/compiz = dunzo!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Unity/compiz = dunzo!

yes i did what he said, i posted above what happened when i did. nothing happened. i didn't get the same output that he received in terminal.

i have to do a fresh install? several other people on these forums have had this exact same issue and somehow got it resolved but no one will tell me HOW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, this won't be a small answer.

Basically you can think of OpenGL as sort of a standard for developing "hardware accelerated" graphics. Hardware accelerated graphics are faster and allow for more things than "software accelerated" graphics. Some VGA Cards support, among other of those "standards", OpenGL. Some do not. They can support different versions of it, correctly or incorrectly, completely or partially, with a good or poor performance. It all depends on the hardware, version and quality of the implementation.

Compiz is a "compositing window manager". Think of it as something that makes the interface between the desktop core and your applications, but relying on OpenGL features (which is why Compiz has plugins, effects, etc).

Unity (the launcher, the dash, etc) is implemented as a Compiz plugin.

• In order to have Unity, you need Compiz.
    • In order to have Compiz, you need OpenGL.
    • In order to have OpenGL, you need to install proper drivers and the correct Kernel module for you VGA card.
    • You might also need Mesa. It is a package that contains files for the OpenGL implementation.

One thing is on top of the other.

- Having those set, you need to make sure that Compiz is properly installed, as well as it's plugins.

- On top of all that, you need to check if Unity packages and all of its dependencies are correctly installed.

- And, to conclude, some settings files stored in your home directory must exist, be correct and have the right ownership and permissions, so they can be read by Unity and Compiz. And, also in that line, we sometimes see situations in which ownership and permissions for other vital system folders or even the whole system are incorrect.

So, you see, it's not something easy to troubleshoot remotely. All that is done automatically when one installs and properly upgrades Ubuntu. We could go on debugging these thing but it could take a lot of time. On the other hand, inserting Ubuntu CD/DVD/USB and re-installing it will take minutes and most likely fix everything.

I think it's your best bet.

OBS: This explanation is deliberately wrong and incomplete, to avoid complexities. It's a simplification.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The_Autonomist View Post
    Okay, i'm a little confused here. What am i supposed to type in terminal? i did what you said and got this:

Code:
    ebonilm@ebonilm-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:~$ cd /usr/lib
    ebonilm@ebonilm-HP-Pavilion-dv6-Notebook-PC:/usr/lib$ ls -la *GL*
    ls: cannot access *GL*: No such file or directory
    And i also reinstalled compiz plugins via terminal, but i still don't think it's working.

HELP???? i neeed my Unity back....
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; April 18th, 2012 at 06:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Question to all: How should we proceed to get Computer Janitor off Ubuntu repos? We see people having important stuff deleted for some cycles already. It does no good to have it there. No prob with the developer having it on a PPA anyway.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

i don't see why everyone is telling me to erase everything and start over when other people got this same issue resolved.

is there a way to reinstall 12.04 without wiping all of my <stuff>
    Last edited by nothingspecial; April 18th, 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    Question to all: How should we proceed to get Computer Janitor off Ubuntu repos? We see people having important stuff deleted for some cycles already. It does no good to have it there. No prob with the developer having it on a PPA anyway.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Is the janitor function in Ubuntu-tweak the same thing as the old bug ridden "computer janitor" program? I didn't think it was. I read the OP as saying that the problem was caused by Ubuntu-tweak. If so then the issue should be raised with the ubuntu-tweak author.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    Is the janitor function in Ubuntu-tweak the same thing as the old bug ridden "computer janitor" program? I didn't think it was. I read the OP as saying that the problem was caused by Ubuntu-tweak. If so then the issue should be raised with the ubuntu-tweak author.
    Hi alphacrucis, I have no idea. I've seen people reporting problems about Computer Janitor, and always assumed they're talking about the computer-janitor package. This one is known to be harmful. But I have never used Ubuntu Tweak and can't say much about it.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The_Autonomist View Post
    i don't see why everyone is telling me to erase everything and start over when other people got this same issue resolved.

is there a way to reinstall 12.04 without wiping all of my butterflies?
    Run the installer. I think Ubuntu will ask you if you want to keep your files. Your home content will be preserved, as well as programs settings. Programs will have to be reinstalled. But this is not like other OSs. A install of Ubuntu and programs doesn't take long.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Distro

how do i run the installer? O_O

Beans
    Distro

does anyone know how to reinstall 12.04 from inside of 12.04?????

Beans
    Distro

I fixed it myself. Hours of googling, and typing hordes of random crap into terminal fixed the issue. apparently purging compiz core, unity, and then doing this:

~$ sudo apt-get purge xorg-driver-fglrx
    ~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri
    ~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    ~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core
    did the trick. and i did NOT have to completely fresh install ubuntu. -__-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast