Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over 1 month

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Over 1 month

Back on March 7, I tried to get some help on reloading my OS. I wanted to reload 10.04, so I would not be stuck doing new OS's every months or so. I was having many problems, which I did not explain, such as there were 3 Firefox's on my system and it was crashing all the time. My Cd did not work, it does not recognise when I put a cd in. I do not understand why everything is cd based, it is an electro-mechanical device, and very easy for it to go bad. Where as Flash Drives being purely electrical are much more reliable, especially if you have a battery backup system, for power outages which we have all the time. Really wanted to be able to format drive or used a different drive as I have a 500Gb and 250Gb. The 500 has nothing on it. apparently I have to be able start from scratch to be able to format or use different hard drive

A little over 4 years age I was told that Ubuntu, assume that you know what you are doing. That is not very good PR when trying to get ordinary users to switch from Windows.

I started to use the USB Startup Disk Creator to a 4GB flashdrive using torrent downloads, because supposedly no need to do checksums. After about 30 attempts I was able to create one with supposedly no errors. I tried loading, no luck, had problems with WUBI, so I tried Debian figured it was still using GRUB, still no luck, also tried Centos, same result. right now downloading Fedora to try.

Can I use USB disk creator to do other Linux Distros??

I would not mind paying for help, my experience is that the paid help you get is not really any better than free help.
    Frederick Andrew
    manners2345@yahoo.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Over 1 month

Hello

I am not sure what your question is. When trying to boot make sure that you BIOS is set up to boot from usb first. Any other questions?

Beans

What errors are StartupDisk Creator giving you? You can easily place the LiveCD image on a thumb drive by following the instructions posted here. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...68&postcount=2 I have done it a few times and they have come out working great.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by manners2345 View Post
    Can I use USB disk creator to do other Linux Distros??
    Yes. Use unetbootin.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Over 1 month

+1 unetbootin - it has worked everytime for me.

As far as "bad P/R" for Linux/Ubuntu, someone told you wrong. It's not Windows - it's a much different and far more powerful OS. It's free. Patches are free. Updates/upgrades are free. Tech support? This forum, and the other forums within the Ubuntu Forums umbrella, are fantastic, and they are free. If you need immediate help, paid support is available via Canonical.

Because it's not Windows, some people try it thinking it SHOULD be, and therefore fail. They don't take a little time to learn it - but some point in their life they had to learn Windows! Once you have the basics down, particularly if you are like the majority of PC users in the world and mainly use it for web surfing, email, perhaps Skype or some other VOIP, perhaps movies or TV via Hulu, NetFlix, etc., word processing, budgeting, etc., these things are so similar to Windows and extremely easy to use.

So, use unetbootin, and pay no attention to those who say you have to know what you're doing to use Ubuntu. Ubuntu is probably the easiest Linux distribution you'll find.

Best of luck!

Dave

Beans
    Distro

USB is first, then cd, then hdd. This is a torrent download

This is what I get by trying to run wubi

7-Zip 9.04 beta Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Igor Pavlov 2009-05-30
    p7zip Version 9.04 (locale=en_US.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,2 CPUs)

Error: /media/A925-A5ED/wubi.exe: E_FAIL

Errors: 1

If I open setup.exe, There are two folders in it
    $INSTDIR and $PLUGINSDIR with lots of files

So what do I do now???
    Frederick Andrew
    manners2345@yahoo.com

Beans
    Distro

I have tried unetbootin, with out much success. my biggest problem is what I try to learn today I have forgotten by tomorrow, so I start all over, which tends to take hours.
    Frederick Andrew
    manners2345@yahoo.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have tried unetbootin, with out much success. my biggest problem is what I try to learn today I have forgotten by tomorrow, so I start all over, which tends to take hours.
    it is really difficult to help yiu if all you post is "not working". what si not working? at what point it stops? what are the errors?

for wubi install you create a folder put the .iso image you donwloaded in it and put the wubi exe file also in it. then you run wubi.exe and continue with install.
    if you like pictures:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/wubi

unetbootin couldn't be simpler to use select the downloaded .iso image file, select the place where you want it (your USB drive, which has to be pluged in) and then create the liveUSB. 3 steps. not sure what could go wrong ig the image is correct/good.
    when i started i first read a book abotu older version of Ubutn and then i read this: http://ubuntu-manual.org/

windows also assumes you know what you are doing that's why so many people manage to install various viruses and malware on it. not to mention delete the system files like i did once thinking they are temporary files only...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

I have tried to run unetbootin. no luck. no application to run exe's. If I try to open almost anything such as update manager, synaptic manager, computer janitor, they just kind of blinks at me(tries to open then immediately closes.

I am upgraded from 10.04 so I think am running maverick merkat, with this new desktop have not figured out to check version.

I tried to run sudo apt-get check, everything seems okay.
    Frederick Andrew
    manners2345@yahoo.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have tried to run unetbootin. no luck. no application to run exe's.
    if you are trying to run unetbootin in linux then: .exe files can not be run in linux. you need to use the linux version of unetbootin, not windows .exe version.

https://launchpad.net/~gezakovacs/+archive/ppa

if oyu are trying to run it in windows it will run unless you have a computer virus/malware or something

I am upgraded from 10.04 so I think am running maverick merkat, with this new desktop have not figured out to check version.
    you can check the version with terminal command
    Code:

uname -a
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast