Thread: Toshiba Laptop Random Death

Beans

Question Toshiba Laptop Random Death

So iv had This Toshiba Satalite for about 2 years, My power cord bit the dust so I bought a new one. Unkowingly I bought a 60 watt charger when my computer needed 120 watts. so Iv been running that for a while charging my comp up and using it charging using, so on, and the other day my computer randomly shut off I thought it was my charger, but then I went and used my other 60 watt charger (I asked for a new one for christmas and I just got the same one)and the same thing happened. I realized that whenever I plug in either charger the light that shows it is plugged into the wall Imediatly starts blinking when I plug it into the laptop. then stops when I unplug. I know the computer is not receiving power from either the battery or the Powercord. Because when ever i try turning it on it does absolutely nothing + the battery was charged when the computer shut off. So how would I fix this / how much would it cost, I'm already going to buy a new power cord and then I need to replace what ever is broken.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Toshiba Laptop Random Death

Your laptop only takes power from the battery, so it's unlikely that anything is broken other than your battery. I would suggest replacing the battery (which is probably thoroughly confused after being improperly charged for so long), and charge it with the CORRECT charger.

Batteries can develop a "memory" over time, which causes them to "think" that they're fully charged (or empty) when they're really not, hence yours was displaying fully charged when it shut down.

Beans

I disagree with Richard. The laptops I've owned (including a Toshiba) work without the battery plugged in, with just the charger connected. You should be able to unplug the battery and use it just off the charger. And laptop batteries have not had "memory" issues for many years - that's an old problem that was solved a long time ago with the advent of lithium ion batteries.

If your replacement charger worked for a while to charge the battery and use the laptop, I don't see how it could be the problem now. You don't have to get EXACTLY the right wattage for a laptop to charge the battery right; you do want a minimum. 120 watts seems like a very powerful charger for a laptop; most I've seen use closer to 90 watts or even 65 watts. What exact model Toshiba do you have?

In any case, you may have some other laptop issue: a motherboard problem, perhaps, or a loose power connector. Have you tried simply removing the battery and using the laptop without it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    I disagree with Richard. The laptops
    In any case, you may have some other laptop issue: a motherboard problem, perhaps, or a loose power connector. Have you tried simply removing the battery and using the laptop without it?
    ok so I tried it w/ out the battery still does the exact thing light on the charger goes on when I plug it into wall, then starts blinking when i plug it into laptop. nothing happens when I press power button. and the light on computer that says a charger is plugged in does not turn on. iv tried this w/ two different chargers and it does the exact thing each time. so power is not getting from the charger to the computer (my guess is its shorting out some where explaining the blinking.)yeah also do you know any way I can fix a toshiba laptop with ount paying an arm and a leg.

Beans

also I have used my laptop in the past w/ out a battery and it works but w/ my current charger if i have no battery plugged in and I run something that requires alot of power such as, playing games and debugging code. it will just shut off. same w/ battery if I ran high powered things the battery would go downward till it died.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've seen this happen before from people using the wrong adapters (Toshiba doesn't use different plugs between their 60/90/120watt models like other mfg's do). The adapter is shorting out because the laptop is pulling more than it can handle. You might get lucky with a good 120watt adapter, but 4 out of 5 times I found the motherboard was already damaged and had to be replaced, which if not under warranty is not worth it $ wise most of the time.