Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 261 for the week April 9 - 15, 2012.
In This Issue
- Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) end-of-life reached on April 10, 2012
- Ubuntu 12.04 Development update
- Ubuntu Teams
- Welcome new members
- Ubuntu Stats
- LoCo News
- Launchpad News
- juju Charm Contest winners!
- Jorge Castro: Ubuntu OpenWeek call for instructors
- Daniel Holbach: If only I had known what needs to be done...
- Kubuntu to be Sponsored by Blue Systems
- Didier Roche: Precise Pangolin has now its finale Unity release (5.10)
- Instagram's $Billion Sale Powered by Ubuntu Linux
- 20-million new Ubuntu Linux PCs in 2012?
- In The Blogosphere
- In Other News
- Other Articles of Interest
- Ubuntu Podcast from the UK LoCo: S05E04 - Cube Root of Conquest
- Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
- Weekly Official Ubuntu Flavors Team Meetings
- Monthly Team Reports: March 2012
- Upcoming Meetings and Events
- Updates and Security for 8.04, 10.04, 11.04 and 11.10
- And much more!
General Community News
Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) end-of-life reached on April 10, 2012
Release Manager Kate Stewart announces the end-of-life for Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) on April 10th. "The supported upgrade path from Ubuntu 10.10 is via Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)" and a link to the upgrade instructions are included.
Ubuntu 12.04 Development update
This weekly installment of the 12.04 Development update begins with "We are almost there." It then runs down some of the latest news from developers, upcoming events and some open tasks. The spotlight is on "What to do toward the end of the release cycle?" where they review some opportunities still available in the development arena even this close to release.
Daniel Holbach announces the completion of a review and revamp of the Teams page on the Ubuntu Wiki and encourages community members to help maintain it and add any teams which may have been missed.
Welcome new members
The approved applicants from the 14th April Asia/Oceania Membership meeting are:
Efren Montales Jr. (kidsodateless) (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/kidsodateless | https://launchpad.net/~kidsodateless)
Eduard Gotwig (gotwig) (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Eduard%20Gotwig | https://launchpad.net/~gotwig)
- Open (92963) +328 over last week
- Critical (83) -8 over last week
- Unconfirmed (48021) -11 over last week
As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started, please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad
Translation Stats Oneiric
- English (Australia) (2) +/-0 over last week
- Spanish (8125) -22 over last week
- English (United Kingdom) (23143) -117 over last week
- Bosnian (36756) -246 over last week
- Brazilian Portuguese (42235) -74 over last week
Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Oncelot", see more at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/ and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations
Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week
- Display downloading speed software center - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/29521/
- update-manager should choose automatically a mirror to update in case of failure - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/29528/
- Minor Improvement to Unity Search Results Display - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/29517/
- Implementing software RAID at Desktop install is currently very difficult. - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/29525/
- Proxy password setting should be visible in the interface - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/29512/
Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/
Ask Ubuntu Top 5 Questions this week
- What's the difference between .tar.gz and .gz, or .tar.7z and .7z? http://askubuntu.com/questions/12214...-tar-7z-and-7z
- Is there a difference between installing an application via Ubuntu Software Center or a terminal? http://askubuntu.com/questions/12077...-software-cent
- Why ~/.bash_profile is not getting sourced when opening a terminal? http://askubuntu.com/questions/12107...ing-a-terminal
- Memory limiting solutions for greedy applications that can crash OS? http://askubuntu.com/questions/12076...t-can-crash-os
- Can I use linux safely and sell on ebay? http://askubuntu.com/questions/12059...d-sell-on-ebay
Ask (and answer!) your own questions at http://askubuntu.com
?coala altfel cu Ubuntu
Alexandru Cucu of the Romanian LoCo shares photos from a couple recent events in schools in Romania where team members discussed alternatives to proprietary software and gave out CDs with Ubuntu materials.
Original article in Romanian: http://ubuntu.ro/2012/04/10/scoala-altfel-cu-ubuntu/
Ubucon 12 and Release Party 'Precise Pangolin'
Marcus Moeller of the Swiss LoCo team announces the first Ubucon in Switzerland on the 28th of April 2012, and invites people to enjoy "Ubuntu related talks and Workshops for novice and experienced users."
UbuConLA 2012 - A Call For Expositors
Guillermo Lisi of the Argentina LoCo invites members of the free software community from Argentina and Uruguay to submit talks for the annual Ubuntu conference of Latin America, UbuConLA, coming up on the 1st and 2nd of June 2012 in Buenos Aires.
Original article in Spanish:
Join System76 @ Colorado Loco Ubuntu Release Party
Emma Marshall of System76 announces a Precise Release Party with the Colorado LoCo in Westminster at Rock Bottom Brewery on Sunday, April 29th at 7PM.
An introduction to our new sharing feature
Curtis Hovey introduces a new sharing/disclosure feature in Launchpad to "Show you all the people that your project is sharing private bugs and branches with." Currently available to Launchpad Beta Testers team, the post goes on to discuss what you'll see and explain why it was implemented.
Ubuntu Cloud News
juju Charm Contest winners!
A few weeks ago, a Charm Contest opened to the community so they could demonstrate their abilities with juju. Finally, after some waiting time, the winners have been announced!
Jorge Castro: Ubuntu OpenWeek call for instructors
Jorge Castro has issued a call for instructors to participate in Ubuntu OpenWeek, a three-day-long series of lessons on various parts of Ubuntu that take place on IRC. He is interested, in particularly, for instructors who have never given a workshop before. Those interested should either sign up for a slot or contact Jorge directly.
Daniel Holbach: If only I had known what needs to be done...
Daniel Holbach shares a tool that helps developers find opportunities to contribute to Ubuntu, called Harvest. Harvest is a searchable website that aggregates the different opportunities, and gives users the ability to sort through them by type or specific packages. Comments, suggestions, and bug reports on the new system are appreciated.
Kubuntu to be Sponsored by Blue Systems
After news that Canonical would no longer be commercially supporting Kubuntu, the community has announced that a new sponsor, Blue Systems, will be helping to fund the project during the 12.10 cycle starting in May. They thank Canonical for all of their support, and wish them much success with Unity. With the new sponsor, they say they will continue "To follow the same successful formula as it has always had - community led, KDE focused, Ubuntu flavor."
Didier Roche: Precise Pangolin has now its finale Unity release (5.10)
The final version of Unity has landed for 12.04, and brings many important fixes. Thanks to user testing, many issues were taken care of. Testing will continue, and some fixes will still land before the official release, but of this release of Unity, Didier Roche writes, "This finale version of Unity on this quality-based Ubuntu 10.04 LTS sounds like a perfect timing for a Precise release for the Pangolin."
Canonical Design Team: System status menu refinements in Ubuntu 12.10
With the 12.04 cycle drawing closer to official release, the Canonical Design Team has shown off plans to refine the status menu in 12.10. The biggest changes include a merging of the session and user account menus, a vastly improved time and date menu, and a revamped network menu. Other changes include only having social accounts appear if they're set up, and a new sync menu that shows the statuses of applications that sync content online, such as Ubuntu One and DropBox.
Ubuntu App Developer Blog: How to create a Wikipedia Unity lens for Ubuntu
David Calle, writing for the Ubuntu App Developer Blog, gives detailed step by step instructions for creating a Wikipedia Unity lens, including screenshots from his completed lense.
In The Press
Instagram's $Billion Sale Powered by Ubuntu Linux
Sean Michael Kerner reports "There are a number of components that contribute to Instagram's success, it's important to realize that Linux is one of them." Kerner goes on to reveal "Instagram's back-end is powered by Ubuntu 11.04 running on EC2."
Say Goodbye to Ubuntu Linux 10.10 'Maverick Meerkat'
Katherine Noyes of PCWorld writes about the end of life of the last Pre-Unity non-LTS release. "If you're one of the release's holdout fans--I admit I'm one myself--what that means is that the time has come to upgrade or move on," writes Noyes.
20-million new Ubuntu Linux PCs in 2012?
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols writes about Mark Shuttleworth expecting 20-million new PCs sold with Ubuntu in the next twelve months. Vaughn-Nichols wrote, "He wasn't talking about 20-million new copies of Ubuntu being installed. That's easy to believe." Vaughn-Nichols continued, "Still, 20-million people buying Ubuntu pre-installed on their computers in the next twelve months? That's a lot!"
Canonical prepping to launch Ubuntu as smartphone OS?
A job posting on Canonical's website for "Business Development Manager (Ubuntu Phone OS)" has led Terrence O'Brien of Engadget to speculate on Canonical's plans. "Does this mean that Ubuntu is preparing to take on Android and iOS in the battle for smartphone supremacy (or, more likely, take on Windows Phone in a competition of also rans)?"
In The Blogosphere
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS KVM Virtualization Battles 8.04.4, 10.04.4 LTS - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._kvmhist&num=1
- Ubuntu 12.04 Desktops Impact Performance, Power Consumption - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._desktop&num=1
- Canonical's Quest for Greatness - http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/74822.html
- Top Paid Apps For Ubuntu That Are Worth Your Every Penny - http://www.junauza.com/2012/04/top-p...are-worth.html
- How Canonical's next moves could repaint the Linux landscape http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/ope...landscape/3550
- Unity 5.10.0 Released [Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin] - http://www.webupd8.org/2012/04/unity...4-precise.html
In Other News
- A sneak peek of Send to Ubuntu One - http://voices.canonical.com/ubuntuon...to-ubuntu-one/
- Full Circle Magazine - Python Special Edition Volume 04 - http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2012/0...ion-volume-04/
- HPCloud to go in public beta with OpenStack on Ubuntu - http://blog.canonical.com/2012/04/13...ack-on-ubuntu/
- Canonical's AWSOME bridges Amazon and OpenStack Clouds - http://www.canonical.com/content/can...enstack-clouds
Other Articles of Interest
- OpenStack Essex Quiz - Part 1 - http://vikrambuzz.blogspot.com/2012/...iz-part-1.html
- Five ways to rev up Linux for the car industry - https://www.linux.com/news/featured-...e-car-industry
- Who Cares About Software Freedom? - http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/74845.html
Ubuntu Podcast from the UK LoCo: S05E04 - Cube Root of Conquest
Mark Johnson, Tony Whitmore, Alan Pope, and Laura Cowen return again with the fourth episode of season five of the Ubuntu Podcast from the UK LoCo Team!
Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
- Kernel Team - April 10, 2012 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/M..._10_April_2012
- QA Team - April 11, 2012 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/QA/20120411
- Desktop Team - April 10, 2012 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2012-04-10
- Security Team - April 9, 2012 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Security/20120409
Weekly Official Ubuntu Flavors Team Meetings
- Lubuntu Team - April 11, 2012 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Meetings/20120411
Monthly Team Reports: March 2012
See here for the team report for March 2012: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TeamReports/March2012
If your team is not producing monthly reports, see this page to get your team started: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BuildingCommunity/TeamReporting
Upcoming Meetings and Events
For upcoming meetings and events please visit the calendars at fridge.ubuntu.com: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendars/
Updates and Security for 8.04, 10.04, 11.04 and 11.10
- [USN-1419-1] Puppet vulnerabilities - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/001656.html
- [USN-1420-1] NVIDIA graphics drivers vulnerability - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/001658.html
- [USN-1421-1] Linux kernel (Maverick backport) vulnerabilities - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/001659.html
- [USN-1422-1] Linux kernel vulnerabilities - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/001660.html
- [USN-1423-1] Samba vulnerability - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/001661.html
Ubuntu 8.04 Updates
- tiff 3.8.2-7ubuntu3.10 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ha...il/012742.html
- libpng 1.2.15~beta5-3ubuntu0.7 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ha...il/012743.html
- tiff 3.8.2-7ubuntu3.11 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ha...il/012744.html
- gnutls13_2.0.4-1ubuntu2.7_amd64_translations.tar.gz - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ha...il/012745.html
- samba_3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.18_lpia_translations.tar.gz - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ha...il/012746.html
End of life - April 2013 (Server)
Ubuntu 10.04 Updates
- debian-installer 20081029ubuntu102.15 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012799.html
- puppet 0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012800.html
- linux-lts-backport-maverick 2.6.35-32.68~lucid1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012801.html
- linux-lts-backport-maverick 2.6.35-32.68~lucid1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012802.html
- linux-meta-lts-backport-natty 18.104.22.168.24 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012803.html
- linux-lts-backport-natty 2.6.38-14.58~lucid1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012804.html
- tvtime 1.0.2-5ubuntu2.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012805.html
- nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 173.14.22-0ubuntu11.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012806.html
- nvidia-graphics-drivers 195.36.24-0ubuntu1~10.04.2 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012807.html
- samba- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...il/012808.html
End of Life - April 2013 (Desktop) - April 2015 (Server)
Ubuntu 11.04 Updates
- puppet 2.6.4-2ubuntu2.9 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012465.html
- linux 2.6.38-14.58 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012466.html
- linux-backports-modules-2.6.38 2.6.38-14.10 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012467.html
- linux-backports-modules-2.6.38 2.6.38-14.10 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012468.html
- linux-meta 22.214.171.124.29 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012469.html
- linux-meta 126.96.36.199.29 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012470.html
- gnome-user-docs 3.0.0+git20110406ubuntu12 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012471.html
- nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 173.14.30-0ubuntu1.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012472.html
- nvidia-graphics-drivers 270.41.06-0ubuntu1.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012473.html
- lxc 0.7.4-0ubuntu7.3 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012474.html
- nis 3.17-31ubuntu0.11.04.2 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012475.html
- samba_3.5.8~dfsg-1ubuntu2.4_powerpc_translations.tar.gz - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...il/012476.html
End of Life - October 2012
Ubuntu 11.10 Updates
- puppet 2.7.1-1ubuntu3.6 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/on...il/012022.html
- oss4 4.2-build2004-1ubuntu2.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/on...il/012023.html
- mesa 7.11-0ubuntu3.2 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/on...il/012024.html
- nvidia-graphics-drivers-173-updates 173.14.30-0ubuntu5.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/on...il/012025.html
- nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 173.14.30-0ubuntu8.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/on...il/012026.html
- nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates 280.13-0ubuntu5.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/on...il/012027.html
- nvidia-graphics-drivers 280.13-0ubuntu6.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/on...il/012028.html
- telepathy-mission-control-5 1:5.9.1-0ubuntu2.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/on...il/012029.html
- samba_3.5.11~dfsg-1ubuntu2.2_armel_translations.tar.gz - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/on...il/012030.html
End of Life - April 2013
Get your copy of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter delivered each week to you via email at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-news
You can always find older Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter issues at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter
Additional Ubuntu News
As always you can find more news and announcements at:
Thank you for reading the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter.
See you next week!
The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:
- Elizabeth Krumbach
- Charles Profitt
- Nathan Dyer
- Chris Druif
- Unit 193
- And many others
Glossary of Terms
Other acronyms can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary
Ubuntu - Get Involved
The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to get in on all the community fun associated with developing and promoting Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate
This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu News Team mailing list at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/lis...untu-news-team and submit it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical support questions, please send them to email@example.com.
Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/