Thread: Capture screen shot

Beans

Question Capture screen shot

I use an incredibly versatile app called FastStone Capture with Windows. It lets me use keyboard shortcuts to capture specific areas of the desktop. What's cool is I can grab an application's window after I have clicked on a dropdown menu and then it opens it up in an edit mode where I can add text and so on.

I can get this to work in Oneiric under wine except the keyboard shortcuts don't take.

I tried using Screenshot but
    a) there is no keyboard shortcut for "define your own capture area". So once I click on screenshot and choose the 3rd option I can't go back to the application's Edit/preferences dialog and list the dropdown
    b) the Alt Prt Scr shortcut doesn't work when I have a dropdown menu in focus and
    c)is there some way to edit what I capture easily to add hilights or text and so on?

I really really need this to work.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Capture screen shot

Try Shutter. It is available in the Software Center.

I am not sure if it can do everything you want, but it is a powerful screen shot tool.

I use Ksnapshot, which is a lot simpler, but enough for my needs.

Beans

Re: Capture screen shot

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Try Shutter. It is available in the Software Center.

I am not sure if it can do everything you want, but it is a powerful screen shot tool.

I use Ksnapshot, which is a lot simpler, but enough for my needs.
    It's funny you should mention shutter 'cos I just learnt about it and was going to come back and update my post.
    I tried using it and it looks like it's pretty good for most of what I want except one feature, which is kind of important for me. That is to capture drop down menus in the screen. When I have a menu dropped down, the capture keyboard shortcut doesn't work. I was going to check and see if Shutter has its own discussion forum and look there.