Thread: Could not connect to master backend

Beans

Could not connect to master backend

I've installed Mint, MythBuntu, and now Ubuntu 12.04 with MythTV installed and I always get this error when I start the frontend. These are clean installs with nothing changed but the capture card setup. Then this starts happening.

What could I be doing wrong?
    Compaq CQ62 with Intel i3 2.5Ghz and Radeon HD 6370. Runs Mint 17.1 Cinnamon and XFCE.

Custom made PC FX-8350, Radeon HD 7850, 8GB ram, entirely water cooled. Runs Windows 7.

Beans

Re: Could not connect to master backend

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I've installed Mint, MythBuntu, and now Ubuntu 12.04 with MythTV installed and I always get this error when I start the frontend. These are clean installs with nothing changed but the capture card setup. Then this starts happening.

What could I be doing wrong?
    Have you configured the backend (with mythtv-setup)?

If you've configured it, is mythbackend started and running before you attempt to connect the frontend to it?

Have you checked out the mythtv manual for configuration help at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Index

Beans

I ran the backend setup which allowed me to setup the TV Tuner. I don't know if that's what you're talking about? Everytime I exit the setup it asks me if I wanna start up the backend, and I say yes. When I check the status though, the service is stopped.

I tried setting the IP to 127.0.0.1 in setup and then tried giving the machine a static IP and using that instead.

I'll try removing the capture card, since that start this whole mess.
    Compaq CQ62 with Intel i3 2.5Ghz and Radeon HD 6370. Runs Mint 17.1 Cinnamon and XFCE.

Custom made PC FX-8350, Radeon HD 7850, 8GB ram, entirely water cooled. Runs Windows 7.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I ran the backend setup which allowed me to setup the TV Tuner. I don't know if that's what you're talking about? Everytime I exit the setup it asks me if I wanna start up the backend, and I say yes. When I check the status though, the service is stopped.

I tried setting the IP to 127.0.0.1 in setup and then tried giving the machine a static IP and using that instead.

I'll try removing the capture card, since that start this whole mess.
    Did you complete all the steps in mythtv-setup? capture card, video source, bind source to capture card, scan for channels?

What does your mythbackend log tell you? We cannot read your computer logs from here, you need to look at them and post what you see.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    Did you complete all the steps in mythtv-setup? capture card, video source, bind source to capture card, scan for channels?

What does your mythbackend log tell you? We cannot read your computer logs from here, you need to look at them and post what you see.
    Thanks, I just did those things and now it works. I didn't think I needed to setup the rest to get it to stop giving me this error.