Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMac G5 PowerPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A Bad Investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    It's a good system. You got a good deal.

Leopard (10.5) is the last OS X version to support PPC. So if you want OS X, that's your only option.

If you want Linux, then you have Debian and several flavors of Ubuntu such as Lubuntu to choose from.
    +1 to this. If you can get your hands on Leopard that'd be a nice upgrade. It's a really nice OS overall, too.

Beans

I heard rumors that mac would give away upgrade CDs for leopard, not sure if it's true or still happening but can't hurt to check out.

Does anyone actually run Leopard on an old machine like that with any kind of success? I have an old power pc that ran Leopard V.E.R.Y. S.L.O.W.L.Y. making it useless. And I'll get flamed for this, but it doesn't run xubuntu much better.

Beans

OS X Leopard is no longer supported. In light of the current trojan and botnet hysteria surrounding OS X, I don't think that it's advisable to use an unsupported version of OS X.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I run Leopard on my G5. It's fine for every day use, but don't expect blazing performance. There's Flash support, but it's an older version.

If you're worried about the Flashback trojan, just turn off Java in Safari.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You do know that OS X has a *nix (BSD) core, right? It is pretty similar in many ways to Linux.

They just add lots and lots of obstacles to use. There's a reason that there are almost no servers based on Apple OS X.

Apple products are mostly toys for the masses. When it's time to step up to servers and real computing, you'll go to an unrestricted Linux OS, I guarantee it.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by perspectoff View Post
    Apple products are mostly toys for the masses. When it's time to step up to servers and real computing, you'll go to an unrestricted Linux OS, I guarantee it.

So only one category of computing counts as "real computing"?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    If you can get your hands on Leopard that'd be a nice upgrade.
    You know what sucks? In 2009 someone gave me a copy of Leopard with a 20" IMac G5. I didn't know how to fix the IMac at the time so I sold it on craigslist.org and I sold the Leopard disc on Ebay.

This one is 17". It has a 1.8GHz PowerPC processor, 80Gb hard drive, and it came with 512Mb RAM but I added another 256Mb. It would turn on but soon freeze after the screen became distorted with lines down it. I read up online about G5 problems. Lines on the screen appeared to be related to one of three problems, either bad capacitors on the motherboard; a bad inverter board, which caused horizontal lines; or an unseated graphics chip, which caused vertical lines (and apparently crashing). My machine had the vertical lines, so I took it apart, re-flowed (I think it's called) the graphics chip to re-seat it back into position. Then I placed a copper shim between the chip and heatsink to put pressure on the chip and prevent it from unseating again. After that the machine ran great for about a week, then the lines appeared and it started crashing again. I'm guessing the shim didn't put on enough pressure and the chip came unseated again.
    Last edited by dodle; April 18th, 2012 at 01:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's a nice system even at that price, but since PPC versions of OSX are no longer supported I'd think running Linux or going retro with OS9 are the only options. Also look at AmigaOS 4, MorphOS, or even FreeBSD which all have PPC versions, though I'm not sure they all will work on any PPC system.

But given OSX is still heavily used I don't think I'd run an unsupported version since you could be susceptible to some nasty things if connected to the Internet. And given the unsupported nature of OSX on PPC I'd say that rules out selling this to someone if it'll be their primary system.
    Linux User since 1996, #242069
    System 76 PanP5 - 64bit Xubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: IMac G5 PowerPC

The thread is attracting some good advice, so let's move it to the Apple forum. Could be of value to other users.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Re: IMac G5 PowerPC

Wanted to bump this thread in relation to my other thread... here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2011634

When I bought this iMac G5, it had OS X 10.4 on it, and I could not upgrade firefox, flash, also had problems with "unmountable file systems", so I installed ubuntu 10.04 on it, so far working great. Not the fasted machine in the world, but it's doing it's job.

Obviously flash is not supported on PPC, so I installed gnash. It's slow on youtube but I can run grooveshark and that really isn't a big deal to me.

My problem is with my DVD drive, as stated in that thread...Also, I'm looking for any general advice for this system, anything I can do to make it run faster, smoother, and all those nice adjectives.

Anyway, bump and all that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12