Thread: Help! DVD drive not working....

Beans

Red face Help! DVD drive not working....

I bought an iMac G5 (20 inch) with 1GB ram and a 160GB HD. I've been using Ubuntu for a while now and I really didn't want to us OS X.

So I installed 10.04 on here, I tried the live CD for 12 but it was just so slow, I decided to downgrade. I updated the software as well as the wireless driver.

Got my wireless working, I installed gnash because apparently there is no Adobe version for PPC (is this true?) youtube is slow but it works.

My main problem is my DVD drive, I put in a CD or a DVD, and the computer simply doesn't recognize it. I tried my House DVD, nothing, as well as an audio CD, and still nothing. Also, the only way I can eject it is by typing "eject" into the terminal.

This, and flash is basically my only issues so far. If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Phil

Beans

Re: Help! DVD drive not working....

Also, this is a bigger issue for me, because almost all of my backup files...mostly music, pictures, etc are on DVD's and I'd really like to be able to transfer them onto this computer.

Again, thanks for your time.

Beans

Re: Help! DVD drive not working....

Okay

When I go into Disc Utility, with a DVD in the drive, it says

No Media Detected

and when I press eject it says

An Error Occurred While Attempting to Eject Medium

but when I put "eject" into the terminal, it still ejects the disc.

HALP! finding very little information on the forums or using google about this problem.