Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: System Feels Slow

Beans

Re: System Feels Slow

Well, I believe it'd be the same process trying to install the radeon binary driver for any distro, as the Catalyst 9-3 driver is only supported on Linux distros before 2009. If you'd tried to install the radeon open source driver, which is the best bet you got right now in my opinion for a current distro, you'll have to do the same for any distro you try.

Beans

By the way, make sure if Ubuntu 10.04 will indeed support your X1200 card with the propietary drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In the past, when Linux users had unsupported video cards or chipsets, an alternate option was to just use the standard "vesa" driver .... the downside being no 3d, or desktop effects. So, if a person was not especially interested in gaming - - you could have a fast and functional system.

Since I don't run Ubunity/Unity, I don't know if this is still do-able or how to set it up, but perhaps someone else can fill in the blanks.

Beans

AMD dropped the support for the old ATI cards and this will affect any distro. You may look at 10.04 as a way to "postpone" the problem or as a way to wait until you can get enough money to buy a fully supported computer. If you think that 10.04's extra year of support will not be enough time, you can consider Debian 6. It will be supported for at least another 2 years and possibly more. You can also look at any other distro that has long support and will come with the older version of the AMD driver.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123