Thread: Ubuntu as Main Os

Beans

Ubuntu as Main Os

Okey so I installed Ubuntu as My Main Os doing a clean install a few months ago , Now i need to install Windows Xp. When I restart My Pc i Insert the Cd and Press F12 to Choose the Boot method on my cd, Then it Sends my Back To Ubuntu.

I have a Ubuntu Live Usb and a Windows Xp Cd.

What i have tried:

I Booted from usb into a live ubuntu os, then unmounted the HD and Formated Everything, I went and Tried to Install Xp, Bootmgr Is Missing.. used Live os again, Couldnt Find a Fix, Decided To try to install Ubuntu. Now i Have a Nice Clean Install on Ubuntu 11.10 again..

FML Can some one please tell me how to do it.

Step by Step for dummys would be nice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu as Main Os

Popular advice is always to install Windows first, if you do the install the other way , Windows overwrites the boot manager.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6510930_inst...r-missing.html

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

Rodney

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Windows overwrites the boot manager.
    Not only that, many Windows CDs are not able to deal with manually selecting which partition you want to install to and will wipe the entire hard disk and all your data without any warning!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you have enough RAM, consider running Windows inside Ubuntu instead. Ubuntu has programs like Virtual Box which you can install Windows in and it works great! You can use Windows for whatever it is you need it for and have it running inside Ubuntu so you can have both operating systems running at the same time and instantly switch between the two whenever you want. Most computers have enough RAM now, especially if you only need XP, which is not as resource hungry as Vista and 7.
    Last edited by Herman; April 15th, 2012 at 02:11 AM.