Thread: usb microphone or XLR usb soundcard

Beans

usb microphone or XLR usb soundcard

hello, i'm looking for a a usb microphone that is supported by ubuntu,(and other distro's if possible). if that doesn't exist i have already a xlr dynamic and conderser mic, so that i'm looking for an interface that converts the audio signal into a digital one, feeding the usb. i'm not inclined to spent a whole lot of money. say 100 dollar. can anybody point me to something decent and supported. thanks guys

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: usb microphone or XLR usb soundcard

You might have a look at M-Audio stuff if they are still around. They made some pretty basic things. If you already have mics I would definitely go with the outboard option rather than a USB mic. Better quality for a start (depending, of course, on the quality of your existing mics, that is!).

Beans

thanks Bucky Ball my mic's are quite alright, dynamic and condenser shure's (sm58, the condenser i don't know anymore); well i have read that m-audio would be possible, but some posts mention a problem of not working... Do you know a good model ? i thought the m-audio fasttrack was supported (but also problems were reported) thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, the mic end is female xlr but you can get a cable with that one end, regular quarter inch the other, quarter inch to mini-jack converter on that and in to the mini-jack mic input on the computer, if you have one. Done.

Beans

i have tried that, but no sound out of the onboard soundcard. for playback i have an external usb-dac convertor. i'm thinking of buying a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2; just because it is so well supported. what do you think ? thanks

Beans

hello guys,

just to let you know

• an mini jack to XLR cable, combined with an dynamic mic and on board sound card works fine.
    • i have also bought the focusrite 2i2 and it is immediately recognized and works fine in ubuntu.

just to let you know
    bye